Lower control arm pivot nut - how do you stop the pivot shaft from spinning?

-

Sdriche

Reaction score
Im doing a front end rebuild and am left with the LCA pivot nut which just spins the shaft when trying to remove. I left some tension on the torsion bar but that doesn't seem to help. I can't see anyway to hold the shaft still. Based on the other bushings, this one is probably non existent too. Any tips/tricks on removal of the nut? Thanks in advance.

So you’re trying to take apart the suspension?

If the pivot is spinning with the nut the factory bushing is smoked. The good news is you can just disassemble the suspension anyway. Remove the torsion bar, remove the strut rod, spindle etc and the LCA will pull right off the pin.

Once the LCA is off the pin, you’ll have lots of real estate to grab onto that side of the pin to keep it from spinning.

Im doing a front end rebuild and am left with the LCA pivot nut which just spins the shaft when trying to remove. I left some tension on the torsion bar but that doesn't seem to help. I can't see anyway to hold the shaft still. Based on the other bushings, this one is probably non existent too. Any tips/tricks on removal of the nut? Thanks in advance.
I've used vise grips to hold it

So you’re trying to take apart the suspension?

If the pivot is spinning with the nut the factory bushing is smoked. The good news is you can just disassemble the suspension anyway. Remove the torsion bar, remove the strut rod, spindle etc and the LCA will pull right off the pin.

Once the LCA is off the pin, you’ll have lots of real estate to grab onto that side of the pin to keep it from spinning.
Thank You!! this makes perfect sense. It came out in 5 mins.

Last edited:
PB Blaster on nut, heat nut with heat gun, hold pin at rear with vice grips

He has it apart.

You don't really want to heat. Front end parts unless it's the last resort. Wore brush the threads and soak with penetrant is better

He has it apart.

You don't really want to heat. Front end parts unless it's the last resort. Wore brush the threads and soak with penetrant is better

I mean, he did say heat with a heat gun, it's not like he said to put a torch to it until it glows red. Heck he even said heat the NUT, not the pivot. Nothing wrong with what @340sFastback said.

And I totally understand the need to be careful when heating parts that have been heat treated, but again, you can heat any of that stuff to a couple hundred degrees without hurting anything, and that's more than enough to help loosen things up.

-
Back