Lower Control Arm Questions

-

dart0571

Reaction score
I am rebuilding my front suspension and just pulled the lower control arms. The play laterally seems excessive to me (see pic). I read that this might go away when I add the boxing plates if i put a c-clamp on them. So what do you guys think about them do they just need to be pushed together I'm just worried about bending one side to much or something.
View attachment Image034copy.jpg
View attachment Image035copy.JPG
Also, I nicked the end when removing the lower ball joint, does that look ok to you?

View attachment IMAGE037copy.JPG

when assembled the movement is minimal due to the torsion bar on one side and the strut rod on the other side. If you plan on doing some auto crossing you probably won't notice the benefits of the boxed plate but it's such a simple gig and you have the arms out anyway....

The nick is no problem

The split in the LCA halves it pretty large. Someone must have complete worn out a set of strut rod bushing and the LCA was moving back and forth.

Clamp and just weld a 1" strap. That's an awful large gap.

my strut rod appears to have a very slight kink in it where it mounts to the lower control arm, the car hit a tree before i owned it the end of the rod is maybe 2 or 3 degrees off is that an issue?

also, i'm having trouble getting the upper control arm bolt out on the other side, I broke the end off with the nut and it appears the shaft of the bolt is stuck on the bushing when i turn it will spring back to where it was. I'm thinking I'll burn out that bushing, any other ideas? I've tried prying it and hitting the bolt from the other side but it springs back...

Princeton. If you need help welding them let me know.

Thanks for the offer, I have a welder it's a 120v MIG I think that should do it fine. I've welded a few things before but I'm not great at it, so i might be looking for help.

I'm thinking get a new strut rod and some LCAs. The cost shouldn't be too huge.

Thanks for the offer, I have a welder it's a 120v MIG I think that should do it fine. I've welded a few things before but I'm not great at it, so i might be looking for help.

OK just let me know. Im doing my front suspension right now also. Im hoping to have it all in tomorrow.

OK just let me know. Im doing my front suspension right now also. Im hoping to have it all in tomorrow.

I'm doing the disc brake swap at the same time I hope to be done by next weekend. I pulled off the passenger side friday in about 2 hours, the drivers side has taken me all day today... the bushing on the upper control arm wouldnt let go of the adjusting bolt. I couldnt belive how long that took to break free hopefully I didn't bend up the mount to badly. If you have a good strut rod laying around PM me a price, I think I might be able to reuse the one I have it rolls straight on the concrete just the threaded end is a little tweaked.

I'm finally moving along on the project now... anyone have some advise for how to index my torsion bar? Should i put the adjuster in the middle or is it better to start at one end?

You'll have to back the adjuster all the way out. Make sure you get the T-bars installed on the corect side of the car. They are different left-to-right. You'll know if you're off by one position - it's 60 degrees to the next flat!

-
Back