Lower control arm shaft and bushing removal

-

Randy WM

Reaction score
I searched some older posts and from what I can gather, the shaft is pressed into the inner ID of the bushing, while the OD of the bushing is pressed into the control arm.

Any tips on getting it all apart? Control arms are out of the car.

Randy WM, it depends on what you are replacing as to how you do this. If you are replacing the bushing with an OE rubber style then the sleeve and the bushing must be removed. If you are going to use the polyurethane bushings then the sleeve needs to stay in the LCA. To remove the bushing and sleeve, you can pry out the bushing with a screwdriver, then tack weld a washer to the lip of the bushing and press out the bushing using the washer. Just be careful tacking on the washer. You can also use the tried and true method of using a chisel to score the side of the bushing and then folding it in on itself and using a pair of needlenosed pliers to pull it out. Just be careful to not score the LCA with the chisel. Either way needs to have a little patience applied before diving in. Take your time and be careful, you'll be glad you did. Good luck with your project, geof

Does the shaft press out? Or does it have lock ring or a pin somewhere I don't know about?

The bushing assembly also has an inner sleeve that will stay on the shaft when it is pressed out. This will also need to be romoved before re-bushing. Score the surface with a die grinder and then knock it off, but be careful not to score the shaft when doing this. Geof

-
Back