Lowered truck stance opinions needed

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys I got the SS/T lowered and the alignment done and had to have the front bump stops removed as it was sitting on then at rest. It sat really nicely until the bump stops were removed now it sits lower in the front then I initially wanted but it is growing on me now. What do you guys think about the rake? Love it or hate it? Don't hold back and be as abrasive as needed. I can raise the front up an inch with the supplied 1 inch spacers that came with the drop springs, they were designed to be 2 inch drop with spacer or 3 without them. So what do you think? Good, bad, or raise it up a bit?

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 308
I love rake so if the suspension if functional now i vote to leave it like it is. And if you ever decide to go with a larger rear tire would be even cooler, although the anti-locks would probably not appreciate it:D.

P.S. Glad your home:thumblef: ......And i'm jealous.......lol. Nice truck.

Do a 2" lowing shackle in the rear.

I already have 2 inch shackles and 2 inch hangers so I would have to bring the front up if I want to lessen the raked look. And the suspension functions perfect and I love how it handles.

Yeah, I'd say drop the rear just a little, too. That is unless you actually use it to haul stuff. Those wheels look like mid-90's stock Chevy truck wheels.

I love rake so if the suspension if functional now i vote to leave it like it is. And if you ever decide to go with a larger rear tire would be even cooler, although the anti-locks would probably not appreciate it:D.

P.S. Glad your home:thumblef: ......And i'm jealous.......lol. Nice truck.

Thank you. I am going to eventually have a set of factory rims widened to 17x13 and a 345/35/17 I think drag radial put on the back. For looks of course this thing is slow still.

Yeah, I'd say drop the rear just a little, too. That is unless you actually use it to haul stuff. Those wheels look like mid-90's stock Chevy truck wheels.

The rims are factory 96 Indy ram and 97-98 SS/T ram wheels. Guys the only way to get the rear lower is to buy all new drop stuff for the rear. I already have hangers and shackles installed for a 4 inch drop.

Thank you. I am going to eventually have a set of factory rims widened to 17x13 and a 345/35/17 I think drag radial put on the back. For looks of course this thing is slow still.

I like that idea, but hey, i'm in my 50's and it's a truck. Imo it can still look/be fast and be functional. I personally hate slammed on the ground trucks, but i know i'm in the minority. Do what you like and i'm supportin' you either way.

P.S. This was mine a few years back.....

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 253
Yup

Looks funny with too much rear wheel showing. Never did like that look where the rear is up and more tire showing.

x2 on the 2" rear drop. It'll look better than raising the front back up. It's badass now.....but lower it more in the rear and dammit man. Also.....just so you know, from a suspension perspective, it's not good to eliminate the bump stops. If you find yourself having to do that, you're lowering too much for your stock suspension. Probably a combination of drop spindles and springs would work better. That way, you'd get some lowering from the spindles, some from the springs and only have to trim the bump stops. You can always do it later.

It would require me to install an axle flip to get it any lower in the rear.

That's WAY wrong. You'll be driving the ring gear the wrong way. If you really want to do it, move the perches to the bottom of the axle and install it on top of the springs.....but if you do that, you may have to remove the lowering shakles and reinstall the stock ones because it may lower it too much then.

...course the best thing to do would be to put drop spindles on the front and bag it on all four corners.

At first glance the stance reminded me of a Chevy (sorry Corey!) but then it grew on me. I guess drive it for a while and see how you feel.

Something else to think about......a drastic rake like you have now, decreases caster angle and can make for an ill handling truck....course if the alignment shop was able to get enough caster in it like it is, that's a moot point.

if its going to be lower then normal I like wide tires and an offset toward the outside of the body, not a huge offset just something to make it look nice

Love your truck. My favorite of the newer rams and especially the SST. I am back and forth between the current stance with the rake, and raising the front back up an inch. Not a big fan of slammed trucks unless you are going pro-street look. I am too old school.

Put in the spacers that way your level and you ain't spendin more money and the truck is still suitable to do as it was intended,but i still like slammed 2wd trucks and super lifted 4x4 trucks. I have a 98 cummins dually that i want to slam [but my retirement plan is a racecar hauler with living quarters] so i'm un able to do the slam cause the two don't play well together,kinda defeats the purpose of a one ton truck dammit. But tell me they don't look cool as a play toy.

Attachments

• alcoa ram.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 253
  • slammed ram 3.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 260
  • alcoa ram 4.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 270
The Brown truck looks decent, this black truck is one of the ugliest trucks i've seen. I don't mean any disrespect, i just don't like it.

Attachments

• Dually.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 261
I am not a fan of the semi wheels on them the black truck does have some fugly wheels that is true,both are bagged both were for sale down here for over 30k. I wanted to lower mine with a 2/4 but i'll loose my overload springs [can't do a flip kit then i'll have to c notch and loose my exhaust] then i have to have air spring overloads so i have ditched the idea [for the time bein]. I may talk myself into it sooner or later.

Hey Lou, if your gonna be pullin' that trailer the 2/4 is probably as far as you'd want to go. But it should still look nice.

-
Back