lowering a 383 into A-body

-
Well, there is one faster way....

[ame]http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/OLDMOPAR/Videos/?action=view&current=RemovingEngine.mp4[/ame]

Lol,saw that video on facebook a while back. Hopefully nobody ever buy's that motor...

Two of us installed a 383 engine with attached Transmission into my '68 Dart in about 10 minutes.

We used a CherryPicker up top and a transmission Jack underneath.

No big deal.

And Don't Forget to Hammer flat the seam in the Transmission Tunnel before you start the heavy lifting..

-

:thumblef: its so easy this way that I did it to change a clutch.

Right, but no matter what, people will argue with you about it. You'll never understand how easy it is until you actually do it.

Right, but no matter what, people will argue with you about it. You'll never understand how easy it is until you actually do it.

BNGO!! It's just human nature to be stubborn,lol...but like Strokerscamp said,you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it this way to begin with. I have smashed my hand several times trying to cushion an inner fender from a waggling motor on a chain.I sure dont miss that...

Have removed the 383 and 727 in my barracuda multiple times from the top. This time I Dropped them out the bottom before sending the body off to be repaired. This is the only way I would ever do it in the future. Sooooo much easier!!!! Also it can be done by one person and no worry scratching fresh paint. I used my tranny jack instead of a furniture dolly.

i must be missing something, i can lower a motor and transmission into a car on a K-D crane, and bolt it to the mounts in 30 minutes, how can anyone lift cars, pull torsion bars and k-frames and put it back in any where near that time?

Yup,you missed the swearing and hours of screwing around to get the headers in. Bottom up,your installing header's starter,everything! Even the carb if you want..

Gerry, take my Barracuda for example. There is no front suspension on the car or k-member. It is easier at this point to raise the car up and drop it over the engine and there is less chance of hurting new paint. Also, for me, unless the car already has disc brakes and larger torsion bars I'm changing those along with the engine and I do all of my swaps with a copy of the old Direct Connection k-member so I'm swapping that, too.

Only reason I personally pull donor motors from the top is I dont necessarly want the k frame etc.

i must be missing something, i can lower a motor and transmission into a car on a K-D crane, and bolt it to the mounts in 30 minutes, how can anyone lift cars, pull torsion bars and k-frames and put it back in any where near that time?

I'd like to see a timed contest....with dents and scratches as a demerit.

I'd bet on a team of any two: HemiMark, HemiDenny, Donnie and Weeb......

All 4 at once? You can't time shhhstuff like that with a stopwatch!

I'm wondering if the same method can be done with an early A-body, let's say my '64 and '65 Valiants????

I bet I could also..... but your forgetting to add the time for the hood, headers..etc. give it a try, you will be converted!

You must remember....after the fluids are drained and the radiator
removed....dropping the entire engine/headers/trans/k-frame etc out
as one unit leaves you with a very lightweight piece. Both of my brothers have done it by themselves with no car or personal trama whatsoever.

When you have the engine/headers/trans/k-frame assembled on the floor for reinstall (super easy to get at everything) the lightweight body that
remains is so easy to manuever and drop down over it that you will never,
ever consider doing it any other way ever again.

OK, I'm sold on the idea. Looks like I'll be doing a big block in the lil '64 Valiant we just bought. Luckily for me there is no drivetrain in it at all, just a rolling chassis. Now to find the right power plant.....hmmmmm, I've got that tunnel ram dual quad 413 in my crew cab that would look great in a Valiant!

Wayno
Austin, TX

Looks like I'll be doing a big block in the lil '64 Valiant we just bought.
Better measure carefully if trying to put an RB into a pre-67 A-body from
the bottom.

A friend put a 440 in a 64 Valiant around 1975 and it was a very tight fit.

It had regular stock manifolds and was basically wedged in there right
to the inner fenders. Possibbly a set of the small Schumaker Tri-Y's
would help.

After seeing how tight his was, a 383/400 low deck would be a much
better choice and can easily be made into a stroker if neccesary.

...believe I'll be trying this method next time I do an engine swap-never have tried it before. I'll have at least two swaps coming in the near future, and it looks like this would be WAY better in my '84 Mustang since installing headers on a 4.6 in a fox body is like begging to be punched in the face by Evander Holyfield. It'll still be a tight fit, but at least I can have the headers and accessories on beforehand. My back is already saying thank you.

Great thread guys!

I have to vote for the up-from-the-bottom method as well. Transmission, 440, headers, steering, accessories - all installed in just a few minutes on my patio (note: It got dark while I was inside having dinner). I've done plenty of "in-from-the-top" installs and I'll never do it again.

The 440 with everything ready to go, sitting on jack stands
IMG_0082.jpg

Push the car up close (not hard. Doesn't weigh anything without the engine and trans)
IMG_0084.jpg

Drop the old /6 K frame out and lift the car with the hoist. Use the hoist to roll the car over the engine
DSC06970.jpg

Lower the car, 4 bolts for the K frame, bolt up the UCAs, hook up the brake lines, couple bolts in the cross member, pop the T-bars back in. Easy-peasy.
DSC06978.jpg

Honestly, the hardest part was getting the old K-frame out from under the car after I dropped it out. :glasses7:

-
Back