LS7 valve springs work in a big block

-

Jo Diesel

My other car is a Dodge
Reaction score
I looked up installed specs on my heads and valve springs should have installed height of 1.850
I found a complete set of LS7 behive springs and retainers and they say they are longer than all other ls engines. Their installed height is 1.959 but it looks like the reatainers set up farther and on the LS site it says to shim them to 1.850 for high rpm. I am looking for a .520 lift but only 6000 rpm. The regular ls springs are 1.800 but can handle .500+ lift

I'm not sure the ID of the bottom and locks/retainers will work. Do you homework. The engine won;t know or care what springs you use, but they need to fit and function properly.

What's everybody else doin? The big block Mopar has been out a LONG time before the LS. People have been runnin .550 lift cams a while in them too. Like Moper said. Do your homework.

I run Comp beehives on my engine. You need to run inside locaters under them or they walk all over the place. The locaters are about .060 thick. The only way i could have used them on my iron heads was to also run retainers that had extra height to compensate. When I switched to Edelbrock heads I was fine, because they were designed with .060 cups for the standard springs so I just switched them out. If you install the springs at 1.850 you will need to check for coil bind.

Bought LS7 beehive springs. $45 for springs locks and retainers including shipping. Will have to see how locks fit my valves as the LS valve stem is slightly smaller. The only place I might have a problem is the LS spring is .030 smaller at the base but you can slide mine around so I believe there is room. If not I will machine it. I can install them at stock height and should have more seat pressure that stock and are good to 600 lift. Don't need that much just really do not trust 40 year old valve springs. By using standard LS springs you would have to shim .050 to get correct height and loose lift limit.

I think they were a good deal
$_57.JPG

I'd rather have 40yr old springs that fit... lol
I think your main problem will be the retainers and locks - they won't fit the 3/8 valve or groove arrangement. So you'll have to find some that fit your springs and the older valves.

Start with a 795-16 retainer, then matching 10° locks for your stems (single, 2, 4 groove). Make sure you use a locator or machine the spring seat to locate the bottom of the spring properly. Beehives work great, I use them all the time. Dual springs just add mass and friction heat that isnt needed.

-
Back