LSA Question

-
IMG_5894.gif

Dan,
You are a thinker & that is good; thinking out the issue & trying to make an informed decision.
A custom grind is a good idea, but sometimes with FT cams, the available cores limit LSA to 107/108.

In my opinion, you are over-thinking IVC. What happens just before IVC? The valve is closing & is open just a few thousandths. The way more hp is made is to hold the intake valve open longer & with more lift; hence roller cams with 0.700"+ lift.
I would NOT use a dual pattern cam if low/midrange tq is the goal. Use a single pattern cam with more intake duration. Such as the Isky 264 Mega which is on 108 LSA.

Dan,
You are a thinker & that is good; thinking out the issue & trying to make an informed decision.
A custom grind is a good idea, but sometimes with FT cams, the available cores limit LSA to 107/108.

In my opinion, you are over-thinking IVC. What happens just before IVC? The valve is closing & is open just a few thousandths. The way more hp is made is to hold the intake valve open longer & with more lift; hence roller cams with 0.700"+ lift.
I would NOT use a dual pattern cam if low/midrange tq is the goal. Use a single pattern cam with more intake duration. Such as the Isky 264 Mega which is on 108 LSA.
Are you talking about a split duration cam? Is a single pattern cam still the way to go with manifolds?

Engine Masters did some good comparison between cams, and they talked about the LSA.

Dan,

I was offered my cam in 108 or 110. I did 110.
It was ground with 4 degrees in it. With one chain was perfect when checked. No need to use offset keys or multiple key way gears. Got lucky
Another same cam close in size had to use the multi key chain and gears ground at diff time. All motor have variables everything must be checked to get the most you can out them.
And my very last custom was this solid degred easy with multi key gear set

20230210_121945.jpg

I was offered my cam in 108 or 110. I did 110.
It was ground with 4 degrees in it. With one chain was perfect when checked. No need to use offset keys or multiple key way gears. Got lucky
Another same cam close in size had to use the multi key chain and gears ground at diff time. All motor have variables everything must be checked to get the most you can out them.
And my very last custom was this solid degred easy with multi key gear set

View attachment 1716200433
Nice cam

I'm thinking about either picking a cam off or the shelf or having a custom cam ground. IVC has to be of some importance as everything that I've read on it is the cylinder will either have to much or to little cp, and everything points to the ivc point. I'm not saying that your wrong. I'm saying that it might be getting way too complicated for what I'm looking for doing with the car. I'm not going racing, towing, etc. I just want a decent running fun to drive street car.

And a close second is EVO.

You will need X amount of duration to get what you want. You can’t pick either IVC or EVO until you get the duration set.

You are not plowing new ground here. I could find 20 cams in a catalog and any of them would be fine for what you want.

-
Back