Luk flywheel

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Helping a neighbor put a clutch in his diesel pickem truck. The clutch kit he is getting has a Luk style flywheel. Can someone kindly explain it me what, if any advantages/disadvantages it has over the oe flywheel he is replacing? The oe unit had 180k+ miles on it, the metal around one of the springs in the disc suffered some sort of fatigue failure, causing the springs to end up laying inside the pressure plate.....

Is the original flywheel a dual mass. They gave a bunch of problems. Is the LUK a single piece flywheel? We always used LUK in the heavy duty applications.

Is the original flywheel a dual mass. They gave a bunch of problems. Is the Luk a single piece flywheel?

Only gave the oe flywheel a quick look, looks like the flywheel found in one of our dinosaurs. The Luk one has not arrived yet, supposed to be here by the end of the week.....

We sold and installed a bunch of LUK flywheel/clutch set ups when I was working at the salvage. That was the only one that would hold up really well in the rollback with a wheel lift tow truck that was always over loaded and abused.

LUK is simply a brand name. Nothin special ........BUT they are very high quality.

We sold and installed a bunch of LUK flywheel/clutch set ups when I was working at the salvage. That was the only one that would hold up really well in the rollback with a wheel lift tow truck that was always over loaded and abused.

He was told by some one that its purpose was to absorb the strain of towing, of which he does not do much of anymore. He does tow his travel trailer once a year when he goes hunting. I was told that one of the Luk's claim to fame is it helps eliminate some of the vibrations.

It is a 2000 F250 SuperDuty, for what that is worth....

LUK makes a conversion to get away from the dual *** stuff.

Rusty,dead on the money. Sold a ton of the Luk conversion kits. If I recall correctly, the dual mass flywheel,one and done. Couldn't turn them. I had a local diesel shop,buying 1,2 a week,five years ago. Dual mass,not a good idea.

The dual-mass idea just won't go away. Chrysler tried the idea in some Neons, and now Hyundai is trying again too.

The dual-mass idea just won't go away. Chrysler tried the idea in some Neons, and now Hyundai is trying again too.

What little net hunting I have done I did notice that they were available for several different brands....

My neighbor had a local shop pull the trans last year. Something was busted. He did not replace the clutch at that time because he claims it was only .0015 thinner than a new one......When he told me this I asked him if miking the disc took into account the fatigue of driving/towing with it......The thing did have close to 180k on it.....but as he put it I drove a truck my whole life so I know how to treat a clutch.....

What little net hunting I have done I did notice that they were available for several different brands....

My neighbor had a local shop pull the trans last year. Something was busted. He did not replace the clutch at that time because he claims it was only .0015 thinner than a new one......When he told me this I asked him if miking the disc took into account the fatigue of driving/towing with it......The thing did have close to 180k on it.....but as he put it I drove a truck my whole life so I know how to treat a clutch.....

Except that he hammered the cushion springs out of the one he had. :D
Heavy loads and towing can do that anyway though.

Except that he hammered the cushion springs out of the one he had. :D
Heavy loads and towing can do that anyway though.

Other than his travel trailer he does not tow much of anything. And from what he his telling me the travel trailer is less than 8k pounds. And I don't think that the trailer has moved in over a year or so, last time he went hunting they just rented a cabin somewhere.....

He is one of this I am a manly man because I drive a stick and you are are girly girl because you don't. Which is why I get my digs in whenever I can with him. He was trying to tell me that his truck is over 10k pounds empty. Mine has been on the scale at the dump several times, always with the same little trailer behind it. It is under 7k pounds. I challenged him to meet me at the drag strip when we get his truck put back together.....At first he said yes but after we used my truck to go somewhere a few weeks ago he told me that he was not willing to go anymore.......

At any rate, I am just glad that when the springs let loose the damn thing did not come unglued and become a buzzsaw. I was in a Road Runner years ago that had the clutch come unraveled....damn thing came thru the oe bellhousing, the floor and exited out of the windshield.....

He was trying to tell me that his truck is over 10k pounds empty. Mine has been on the scale at the dump several times, always with the same little trailer behind it. It is under 7k pounds. I challenged him to meet me at the drag strip when we get his truck put back together.....At first he said yes but after we used my truck to go somewhere a few weeks ago he told me that he was not willing to go anymore.......

If he thinks his truck weighs 10K you need to sell him some gold and make a fortune. My GMC 6500 series rollback with a 19' bed and a wheel lift weighs 11,700 with all the equipment on it.

He knows he will get his tail whipped at the track.

My two trucks just had south bend systems installed . One was a twin disc for easier pedal the other was a con FE. what I noticed is that they do not have as much cushion when trying to ride the clutch when backing up a trailer. Othewise I have pulled up to 31800 on the twin disc with know problems. A escavator and a skid loader at the same time.

Attachments

• Picture 324.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 114
  • spoiler pics 019.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 100
  • spoiler pics 018.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 108
  • spoiler pics 016.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 102
My two trucks just had south bend systems installed . One was a twin disc for easier pedal the other was a con FE. what I noticed is that they do not have as much cushion when trying to ride the clutch when backing up a trailer. Othewise I have pulled up to 31800 on the twin disc with know problems. A escavator and a skid loader at the same time.

That is a bunch more weight than he will ever pull. He had a choice of clutch discs with the kit he got, I believe it was just an oe style organic and a ceramic of sorts.

-
Back