Lunati cams being phased out?

-
I thought they had stopped production several years ago and everything that you see is left over inventory.

when edelbrock bought up lunati (who was already owned by comp) they basically nixed a whole segment of the catalog. my *guess* is that they are just blowing out what stock might remain while only producing chevy and ford stuff because the market isn't there for mopar.

summit doesn't even list lunati on their pull down menu any longer (you have to search by PN)

Check the Lunati website directly, I know Summit stopped listing a lot of Lunati parts due to delays in shipping/production

Cant get a new custom cam. Production is shut down for a while. It will come back.

Cam cores are in very short supply
currently.

The limited Chinese cores that are coming over
are often NOT CWC cast iron! They are an inferior metallurgy
that does not do well under the valve spring pressures required
for performance cams.

I was visiting with my friend of 60 years, who owns a major West Coast
Camshaft company and the situation is not improving currently.

Last edited:
None of this is good news. I feel like I am watching our hobby going into the death throws because of all the parts issues. I still have a few builds left in me I hope, but I no longer plan on them being worth much of anything even when they are done.

currently.

for performance cams.

Camshaft company and the situation is not improving

currently.

for performance cams.

Camshaft company and the situation is not improving currently.
I have (2) of your 570+ lift (LA ) Solids with lifters seasoning if you will !!!
I will sale them one day to persons looking for a USA made cam that will last.

Being a slant 6 guy, I won't use an off the shelf grind anyway, so what do I care? LOL

None of this is good news. I feel like I am watching our hobby going into the death throws because of all the parts issues. I still have a few builds left in me I hope, but I no longer plan on them being worth much of anything even when they are done.

You aren’t wrong. We are the new flathead generation.

Sadly, the aftermarket is going to support the BBC, the LS and the SBC. For Chrysler guys we get Gen II and III Hemi stuff. That’s where the money is.

Pretty soon (if I live long enough) we will be picking poop with the chickens as far as parts go.

I never thought this time would come but it’s at hand.

I have (2) of your 570+ lift (LA ) Solids with lifters seasoning if you will !!!
I will sale them one day to persons looking for a USA made cam that will last.
Do not sell them too Cheap!!

I still have about 50 or more Camshafts form the last Century.

If I need something different = I will just have them reground and
reconditioned. I just had my Camshaft friends recondition one for
me last week.

By chance does any one have the specs for a solid roller lunati that has a 640/640 lift , that was all I remember about it and haven’t had luck with finding the specs on it , I currently run the 600/600 lift solid and love it but if I can get the specs on the bigger one I’d like to get one custom ground to those specs since a lot of hot rod company’s seem to be trying to phase out us guys that made them all millionaires by buying there products over the years

It might be easier to go from 1.5 to 1.6 rockers.
If you are not trying to add some additional duration?

If there is enough room on your existing camshaft to regrind:
Clay Smith Cams has a camshaft @ around 640 to 650 that I have used in several
of our 9 Second Bracket A Bodies. They are one of the major reasons my cars run
pretty well and have been for the best part of 60 years. They make a lot of their living on working
with the small time Sportsman racers.

I’ll look into them I’ve already got 1.6 s on them so wanting to go the step bigger if possible

Bullet cams haas the lobe listings and master patterns for the old Ultradyne cams. You can probably find that one on the lobe list, as Harold went to work for Lunati after Ultradyne was liquidated.
Bullet Cams Master List

Lunati 340 roller cam: 318/328 adv duration; 640/651 valve lift; 279/282 @ 050; 026/028 lash.
LSA is not provided, #RRI318-328 RRI.

This is the only roller cam listed that has 640 lift.

I just.visited Lunati's own site. The have a fairly mild bbm solid roller on clearance for a good price 267/274 adv., 230something, 240 something (can't remember exactly) at .050. .560 lift. $350 28% off original $470. (Cam only, of course)
I like a lot of the Voodoo grinds, but the Mopar versions are going away, or gone.

Bullet cams haas the lobe listings and master patterns for the old Ultradyne cams. You can probably find that one on the lobe list, as Harold went to work for Lunati after Ultradyne was liquidated.
Bullet Cams Master List

Haha. There are ten to fifteen different roller cams with .640 lift.

Just sent an old comp cam to bullet to regrind. The Ultradyne lobes can be ground pretty quick. All the others are cnc and much longer wait.

-
Back