M Code '69 Dart GTS

-
I guess I never will be a good businessman. If I was I would put my toys on CL and Feebay and see what I get offered??

#s matching drivetrain? I have owned many 68-70 roadrunners. I had 1 or 2 with original block. And even then I had people tell me how they knew that car for decades and knew it had 4-5 different engines in it, just so happened the last time, the original block got the rebuild and install. ha

No... I was comfortable paying what I did for it but really couldn't find and good M Code value info online and wanted to pick the brains of the A Body guys for their experienced opinions. I had my own idea of what it might be worth and from what I've heard so far I'm in general agreement with who's responded so far.
So, how is the car coming along?

I still don't agree with the 640 number. If there are "60" known to exist that would be extremely low, less than 10 percent, though I do know where there are quite a few used up M-Code parts cars. I thought this car had a black hood? I will have a couple of M-Code Darts for sale later this year so I will be watching the upcoming auctions and real sales closely. Unfortunately we are missing the original engine/trans.exhaust manifolds for an M-Code notchback that was stolen in the Rockford, IL area over the last couple of years, hopefully it can be found.

IM000265.JPG

Only worth what someone will pay for it...IMO the market has gone soft...these cars are not bringing the money they did a few years back and likely will continue to decline and stop at a level unknown, likely lower than the resto costs...Some here refuse to admit that. Take a look at the auctions (yes that over rated Scottsdale one as well) and who is buying these cars of ours...Older guys who can now maybe afford what they always wanted? ....I see plenty of projects, more and more being sold because people are realizing the cost of resto these days, so why not just buy one already "done" and go! It's only worth what you can get out of someone's wallet. My point is, (and I don't care what you think it's worth) The price of labor, materials NOS/ Aftermarket parts quite often exceeds current value and value is relative to who wants to pay ...how much is the question. But for the most part the resto will be a know cost, it can be added up roughly. The prices I see hinted here is/are for a top notch Gold cert resto. Many here will never achieve that level and the end price obviously will reflect that. Be real in your expectations of "value" and a guy will be ok.

You need to re-think your top line there....

You need to re-think your top line there....

I feel everything runs in cycles, i.e. collector cars, cattle, hogs, real estate, wall street.....

Since this site is 99% hobbiest, most of us care not if the flipper make a profit or not. If we ever own a "rare" car it will be because we built a clone of some sort.

Gold standard concours car? Anyone can built that project into that if: the car gets perfect (body being top of list) work, he has all the correct parts, understands how and why and where, and does it like the factory. It basically costs no more for body, interior, driveline work for an M code dart as an H code Runner, IF you have all the parts unique to that car> the initial cost of that project car sets it all apart.

I stand by what I said, wrote. No need to re-think anything...you may want too?
Value, it ia only and always in the eye of the owner and if that owner is selling, what another is willing to pay. Find a buyer at your price, I guess it was worth what the both of you agree on and that is despite what you have into it....
Don't fool yourself, just because you spend $80K on a 6Cyl car does not mean it is worth that to someone else. A clone costs the same as a real numbers car to restore if restored in the same manner (rare parts ETC)...

I still don't agree with the 640 number. If there are "60" known to exist that would be extremely low, less than 10 percent, though I do know where there are quite a few used up M-Code parts car. View attachment 1715126734

I guess your talking about 640 Darts built? I have a copy of an older 440 Darts registry by a guy in up state NY. Ill have a look at it and reply with the numbers he had back when?
i have about 120, 440 'cudas listed out of a supposed 360 built. About 20 are notch backs!! I have the lowest mileage notch that i know of at 6824 miles!

Last edited:
The engine I showed a picture above is from a 440 notchback, I am sure I gave you info on it Dave. I remember the registry in New York, but I have buried that info decades ago...

I don't see where having them or not is going to make a big difference. If I buy them the car is worth more, about the cost of what I paid for them more. And if I don't have them the car is worth less, about the cost of not buying them less. So why bother unless I wanted them for a restoration?
always nice to include them with the sale, especially if you have the ones that came with the car

The engine I showed a picture above is from a 440 notchback, I am sure I gave you info on it Dave. I remember the registry in New York, but I have buried that info decades ago...

Jim, you never gave me info on this motor or stolen car.
Do you have the vin# of the stolen notch and the motor you show? Wondering if it's in the registry?

Also you never got me fender tag/car info on the B5 notch that was bent in half that your friend(i forget his name) restored when you worked for him.

-
Back