m code barracuda

-

MoparAGoGo

Reaction score
I found what I was told is a m code barracuda . how do I know for sure ? car currently has a 340.the original 440 is supposed to be in the garage also . as is the original 4 speed . this thing is pretty rough any idea what it would be worth? the car is complete but rusty . I know nothing about cars at all . did they even come with 4 speeds from the factory ?

post some pics of the VIN, the fender tag , and the car for info. im assuming this is a 69. you arent giving us much to go on. the fifth digit is the engine code in the VIN number which is on the drivers side of the dash and can be seen through the windshield

Verify that the VIN starts with BH29M xxxxxx. The 5th letter "M" determines the original engine was the 375 440. Also the M Code never came with a 4 speed - only the floor shifted 727.

The 5th digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) indicates which engine was originally installed in a vehicle. In this case that digit would be an M. M code Cuda's were only automatics.

The M code cars were all console automatics, no column shifters or 4 speeds.

If it has a factory fendertag, the the engine code will be E63 (383). Also the VON# (2nd line from bottom) will start with a 9. Any questions, feel free to contact me. I also have the list of known cars.

Grant

Thanks. I will try to get in touch with the guy. I will post my findings as soon as I get them..

What is a rough 69 m code worth? In case I have the opportunity to buy it? Assume it needs everything.

Tough call.. Original drivetrain versions with factory manifolds are rare, and priced high. Non-original drivetrain knocks considerable $$ off the value. Certain parts like the original rad are hard to find and pricey. I paid $750 for a replacement for one with a bad top tank. Exhaust manifolds are ~$2500 a set and up. Unique left side motor mount is not available, and the replacement motor must have the bosses available to drill and attach it if you have one. Front grilles - $800 and up, nice tail panel - $300 and up. Taillights? same. Scoops are repro'd now. Quarters? Hopefully this summer from AMD. Fenders? Generally expensive for nice ones. Otherwise, most stuff is basic A-body, with the exception being the one-year only stuff. Not a cheap car to procure parts for if most of the expensive stuff is missing, which is common. Probably a $40,000 resto.

Grant

If it has a factory fendertag, the the engine code will be E63 (383). Also the VON# (2nd line from bottom) will start with a 9. Any questions, feel free to contact me. I also have the list of known cars.

Grant

Just sent you a PM concerning one in my neck of the woods

my 2nd favorite 2nd gen fish only to the 68 BO29 cars

Attachments

• 1969-plymouth-cuda-440-1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 1969 plymouth barracuda 440 coupe+front left.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 356
I've taken over a '69 440 'cuda ONLY registry. ALL were console automatics. As above, 5th digit in the vin would be "M". Let us know, Dave

not to hijack the thread, but ,does anyone know how to come up w/ a close fender tag for a 68 formula s fastback, not trying to fool anyone cause I`m putting a 440 in it, (505) -----motor plate--magnum force front end---hot resto mod, nostalgia drags and street car. car has had the fender changed before he painted it, and doesn`t have one at all.
any ideas will be appreciated--------------bob

this 1 is definitely a fastback . I've tried to get ahold of the guy but couldn't... I will keep trying I'll keep you posted ..

Check the VIN and fender tag info. It is a P coded car vice an M, I would still leave a deposit and pick up the following day. If it turns out to be an original 340 4 speed FB it would still be an awesome car if it was in decent shape.

If it has A56 in the fender tag info, still grab it after you check for the partial VIN embossed on the radiator shroud and the lip of the trunk as well to validate the VIN on the dash and fender tag. Either way, sounds like the car has potential. Depends on what you are looking to get out of it. Hell even if it was a swap it could be a lot of fun in running driving condition. It is at least worth the drive and a look. Keep us posted, and good luck!

-
Back