m&h backup light harness

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
I am doing a 4 speed conversion in my 72 dart and I ordered the m&h backup harness. I have the wiring figured out for the rear and dash mounted lights but there are still 4 wires that I can not see what they are supposed to connect to, 2 are under the hood and the other 2 are underneath down by the trans. Has anyone used this harness and are the other wires necessary. I will try to post some pics of the wires I am questioning tomorrow.

Two wires go down to the trans switch. In and out. That is it. Power goes to the switch- when put in reverse power goes thru the switch and back to the harness and sent out to the rear lights.
Not much more than that. Why 4 wires?
Wrong harness? Sounds like a console harness for a automatic you have.

This is off a 67 GTX this is where plugged into harness for reverse lights 4 sod. Purple wires.
IMG_0049.png

Two wires go down to the trans switch. In and out. That is it. Power goes to the switch- when put in reverse power goes thru the switch and back to the harness and sent out to the rear lights.
Not much more than that. Why 4 wires?
Wrong harness? Sounds like a console harness for a automatic you have.
This was purchased thru megaparts and the listing said it was for a 71 dart 4 speed. I did call and ask if it would work for a 72 but they couldn't give a definite answer.

Are you sure it’s M&H? I thought they were sold exclusively through Yearone.

Would like to see a picture of what you’re talking about. Typically that harness takes power (I think) from the wiper feed (two pronged connector) and then does down to the back up light switch then back up to the bulkhead connector and into the car. ?

Have you plugged anything into the reverse light switch at the trans? Looks like the brown wire might be for the feed from the wiper motor (power supply)

Do you have a service manual?

This is the connection that powered everything up. There was a what I will call a splitter that connected into the fusable link with a heavy blue wire coming out of it not sure if it needs to be connected. Hopefully you can see what I am talking about in the pictures

IMG_20240604_082730_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240604_082555_HDR.jpg

NOX sensor wiring. Where was your car made? California?

Diagram attached is for automatic. Find manual diagram.

IMG_5038.jpeg

I seen the nox emissions on the tag now so that explains the extra connectors. I probably don't need to plug the one in after the fusable link as this probably powers the emission connectors we will see.

IMG_20240604_090616.jpg

IMG_20240604_090557.jpg

Also not sure about 72 cars but maybe part of all this is clutch safety switch too?

But looks to me it may be for NOX sensor wiring

Are you sure it’s M&H? I thought they were sold exclusively through Yearone.

Would like to see a picture of what you’re talking about. Typically that harness takes power (I think) from the wiper feed (two pronged connector) and then does down to the back up light switch then back up to the bulkhead connector and into the car. ?

A lot of places sell M&H now. They maybe all going through Year One though.

Post 7 first picture looks like the connection to the factory distributor. Take a picture into the end of the plug and post it

-
Back