M1 intake and serpentine accessories

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
I have read a lot about the crosswind mainly being used for V-belt accessories and the Air gap more suited to the serpentine setup.
Cant find much on the magnum, M1 dual plane carb intake.
Does anyone know how well it works with serpentine accessories including the AC?
Thanks for your help

It should not be a problem because it was designed for the Magnum. Off set thermostat, repositioned by pass hose, etc....

M1 dual plane for magnum has not been available new for a while, and the crosswind has been out of stock for quite some time too. There is a used M1 dual plane for sale on this site, and he has good pictures showing its for magnum heads, but intended for LA front accessories and thermostat. If you are keeping factory fuel injection and serpentine setup, get the Hughes dual plane. If you are going with a carburetor setup and mechanical fuel pump, go with Edelbrock RPM air gap and use March pulleys for a serpentine setup. As long as you have an electric fuel pump, you can use the factory Magnum timing cover and serpentine setups. Any way you go, there is some exceptions to each combination that can be sorted out without too much trouble.

Thanks to both of you for your replies!
This is somewhat new to me. Could you explain more in detail what you mean by this, " but intended for LA front accessories and thermostat."
My plans are to use factory serpentine including the AC but running a carb.

FWIW that M1 intake that is for sale is what I was looking at. Do you believe I would be better off with a 7577 air gap?

Thanks

LA engines have a larger size thermostat housing diameter than a Magnum. LA engines have a coolant bypass hose nipple that is angled toward the driver side to match up cleanly with the nipple on the LA water pump. The nipple on Magnum intakes intended for Magnum water pumps (like original equipment) is pointing straight toward the front of the engine. Now the tricky part. The dual plane M1 for sale has Magnum cylinder head attachment (vertical mounting bolts) but has the angled bypass nipple to line up to the LA water pump nipple. The Edelbrock 7577 has all Magnum features including bypass nipple straight out the front, but if you use the Magnum front timing cover and water pump arrangement, you won't have a place to mount a mechanical fuel pump. I have not personally tried to fit factory Magnum AC components on the Edelbrock 7577 yet. Almost forgot to add that the larger LA thermostat position is more centered, left to right, and the smaller Magnum thermostat position is further to the passenger side to clear the Magnum AC compressor and bracket.

Last edited:
Thank you Bob, for taking the time to point out these differences to a Mopar Newbie like me!!
FWIW I am planning a 5.9 in a 87 dakota 4wd 5speed. So far, I have swapped the 6cyl nv2500 trans for a nv3500. I am finishing up a 8.8 disc brake rear install....
I have installed a carter 4070 external electric fuel pump so I will not need a mech. pump....
I really need to keep the serpentine drive. It is a little shorter then the v-belt drive, and its space I just dont have in the dakota...
Again, thanks for your help.

-
Back