M1 or victor intake ??

-

Reaction score
I want to change out my rpm intake for a single plane, I've narrowed if down to these two.
The victor is the 340 version, not the super victor. The victor is a tad shorter than the m1 and my hood clearances are tight so I'm leaning that way but with a little shimming and adjusting the m1 will fit as well. Is one of these superior to the other? I do plan on having it ported.
Oh yeah, it's going on a fast fuel injected 416, ported eddies, hydraulic roller motor.

I read somewhere that the strip dominator was the original that m1 copied, do you know if there's any truth to that ?

Agreed on both of the YR posts!
look into a drop base air cleaner to help with clearances.

I want to change out my rpm intake for a single plane, I've narrowed if down to these two.
The victor is the 340 version, not the super victor. The victor is a tad shorter than the m1 and my hood clearances are tight so I'm leaning that way but with a little shimming and adjusting the m1 will fit as well. Is one of these superior to the other? I do plan on having it ported.
Oh yeah, it's going on a fast fuel injected 416, ported eddies, hydraulic roller motor.
I'm not all that familiar with the single plane M1 for the 340. What carburetor flange does it have? The single plane M1 for the W2 heads has a 4150 flange and the single plane Magnum M1 flange has the 4150.

If it has the combination speadbore/4150 I would send it to the "High Preist (sic) Executioner" and have him weld it up and shape it to the 4150 style. Though the big block style still works pretty good without the modification.

M1 will have a better low mid rang and the victor will have a bit more on top

I like the M1 on my combo. It reduced my 60 foot 1/10 over the victor 340 on my 372, also incresed my 1/4 mph from 116 to 118 vs the victor.

I'm not all that familiar with the single plane M1 for the 340. What carburetor flange does it have? The single plane M1 for the W2 heads has a 4150 flange and the single plane Magnum M1 flange has the 4150.

If it has the combination speadbore/4150 I would send it to the "High Preist (sic) Executioner" and have him weld it up and shape it to the 4150 style. Though the big block style still works pretty good without the modification.
IQ52, it has the TQ flange.
So, the "High Preist (sic) Executioner" actually does welding in his house huh?!

M1 will have a better low mid rang and the victor will have a bit more on top
Thats why I agreed. It seems to be the way of these two intakes. I choose it on a "Error on the side pof causation." not knowing a whole lot about the engine or build and intended purpose of it all.
I like the M1 on my combo. It reduced my 60 foot 1/10 over the victor 340 on my 372, also incresed my 1/4 mph from 116 to 118 vs the victor.
Well, that kind of backs me up. What is the combo?

I don't know if Rosey welds and reshapes his stuff or not. Because he advocates it so strongly I assume he can. I know we can, and do. It is a good idea if you have the facilities or have someone who can do it for you.

I don't know...the guy doesn't even know how to spell priest, he might even be using 'alumoloy'

Well, that kind of backs me up. What is the combo?

.020" over 340 block, mopar 3.58 forged crank, .060" 360 JE pistons, cam motion mid 250's @ .050 solid flat tappet, edelbrock rpm heads with valve job, 750 mighty demon, TTI step headers, 4 speed manual with gear vendors and 4.56 gears.

I give the devil his due. He is a wealth of knowledge. But he delivers it like 'Doc Martin' on one of the PBS stations I get. And I really do enjoy Doc Martin. Rosey makes me laugh too.

.020" over 340 block, mopar 3.58 forged crank, .060" 360 JE pistons, cam motion mid 250's @ .050 solid flat tappet, edelbrock rpm heads with valve job, 750 mighty demon, TTI step headers, 4 speed manual with gear vendors and 4.56 gears.
Ohhh boy that just gives me warm fuzzy feelings! Nice build. Looks like a barrel if fun. And then some.

Thanks!

I give the devil his due. He is a wealth of knowledge. But he delivers it like 'Doc Martin' on one of the PBS stations I get. And I really do enjoy Doc Martin. Rosey makes me laugh too.
Wealth is a word I would not attach to a lot of the things he says. Btw Doc has much better delivery.

I don't know if Rosey welds and reshapes his stuff or not. Because he advocates it so strongly I assume he can. I know we can, and do. It is a good idea if you have the facilities or have someone who can do it for you.

Yes, I have a TIG here at the shop. Thinking about getting another flow bench. The SD on my engine right now was welded and corrected. I've done more than a dozen.

Hey YR! Have you done any work on the single M1 with use for the TQ?
Big and/or small block.

Hey YR! Have you done any work on the single M1 with use for the TQ?
Big and/or small block.

No, but I want to.

I F'd up on my intake. I was going to weld it up before porting. Sat down, did all the math and then went to work. It's so thin I would never consider picking the engine up with a carb plate. It cracked in the bottom of the plenum. It's pretty thin all around the plenum.

If I had to do it over, when I fired up the welder to weld the top I would have done all of it. Trying to squeak by bit me in the ***.

I wish I had several intakes sitting here to test. I eventually want to make a SD take a TQ correctly and I want to make a conversion plate to put a dominator on a SD without an adapter.

So much to do.....and get the W-2 stuff ready. BTW. May only be able to squeeze the exhaust down to 1.550 or 1.580 but I'm going to squeeze it down. Got a email from a guy who is doing 1.55 on all his stuff, including W-2 and Chevy stuff. He's doing it on a 45* seat. Working on him to use a 50 and show me his results.

Awesome man! Keep me up on that will ya?!?!

My 60 ft went from 1.45 with M1 to 1.42 with victor....et best at 10.72 @ 120.66 at SEA LEVEL to 10.66 @ 122.41 In Vegas at 2100 ft....Probably 10.40s at Sea Level..

My 60 ft went from 1.45 with M1 to 1.42 with victor....et best at 10.72 @ 120.66 at SEA LEVEL to 10.66 @ 122.41 In Vegas at 2100 ft....Probably 10.40s at Sea Level..

Yes, no doubt all of your cars run well and are nearly a second faster in the 1/4 than mine as I could only muster up an 11.47 @118 with a 1.64 60'. The shorter runner length and taller port cross section in the victor didn't work well in the lower RPM range on my particular combo. Even tried 4 hole and combo spacers on the victor but the M1 ended up being 2/10 quicker for me overall in the 1/4. I also modified the TQ carb flange on my M1 with Moroso epoxy to match the flange on my demon carb. Seemed to help throttle response a bit.

Last edited:
-
Back