M1 singleplane vs rpm airgap

-

moturbopar

Reaction score
Hey all I am trying to decide on which intake to use. The engine is a .030 over 360
ported 2.02-1.60 smog heads flow 250cfm at .500 int
comp xs282s solid cam 244 at .050 in 252 at .050 ext 110ls adv4 deg
holley 750 dp.
1.5/8 headers
9.7 to 1
125 to 200 shot of nitrous
built 904
manual valve body
3500 stall converter
3.91 gears.

I planned on using the m1 since single planes and nitrous usually work well together and make for easier tunning, but how often am I going to be using nitrous. I have feeling that the RPM might be more fun on the street. what do you guys think?

I'd do the RPM since it's not a race engine and seeing the laffin gas often. The added torque output is nice down low, where you'll be driving in alot more than being up top in the rpm range.

I'd do the RPM since it's not a race engine and seeing the laffin gas often. The added torque output is nice down low, where you'll be driving in alot more than being up top in the rpm range.

But do you have the traction on the street to take advantage of the extra low end torque from the dual plane with the 4" stroke ??

I have dynoed this situation quite a few times and have found that upto 6500rpm the RPM intake will make just as much HP as any single plan, but have a much better torque band thru 4500rpm. RPM all the way for an engine like this.

RPM.....FWIW, I ran an RPM/Air-gap for ~ 8 years spraying it with a 150-180 shot every run down the track. I never had any issues, but you have to keep an eye on your plugs (some cylinders would be leaner than others). I never turned it up past a 180 shot due to the cylinders looking a little too different form front to back and bank to bank (this was with a 1/2 inch spacer under the plate system).

I would go with the single plane intake. All dual plane intakes have more uneven fuel distribution between the cylinders, the last thing you want using nitrous

But do you have the traction on the street to take advantage of the extra low end torque from the dual plane with the 4" stroke ??

LOL, it's all right foot controled ... or lack there off... :toothy7:

With that cam (which I have in my 367) Comp tells you to run a single plane intake, I run an old Holley Strip Dominator that went on a big diet and got a new lease on life, works fantastic.

I think I am going to try both (i can borrow a RPM). Wonder if the track would frown on me swapping intakes at the track?

Use water to cool the engine instead of anti-freezze and they really can not ***** if you clean up after you make a mess. (Not the water mess)

I'm going to build a 408, in the hopes of taking my 69 Dart down the track in the 11.40 range, but it will be a street car 90% of the time. Was shooting for 500-525hp/ftlbs, and from what I've read on the specs of these two manifolds it seems like a no brainer to go with the Air Gap, no? Virtually identical top RPM range and a considerable advantage on the low end.

Donny;

While there should be a good amount more torque down low, when you start dealing with a stroker engine, the added arm add's alot of torque reguardless of the intake used. I'd still stick with the RPM for a street engine.

The M1 should show a good amount of power over the RPM up top, if so built up to run the track.

If your cam specs are large, then the dual plane is not needed since the rest of the combo, if well selected parts and combo are right, would not need the dual plane since that RPM range below 4,000/3500 rpm is ignored.

The M1 is listed to 6500. Those who know better will tell you this intake is good till 7000. More after massaging. The M1 is basicly a copy, but, yet well upgraded version of the old Holley street dominator. Which was listed to 7000 rpm.

These really are race manifolds that can be made to work on the street.
The RPM is the oposite way. It's a great street manifold that can be used very well on the strip.

M1 is more like the Holley Strip Dominator...not the Street....

Hot Rod magazine did a little article a while back on a solid FT SBC using an Air Gap and Victor Jr for comparison on and off the laughing gas. Almost identical improvements on the bottle, even noting improved fuel distribution on the Air Gap with the Nitrous on.

You can't depend on mag story's. RPM has been out for many years, bet if you dug deep enough you could find other mag stories that would say it the other way around.

Look at the winning race cars, what do they run? If dual plane was so great to make the most HP why are all the top gun intakes single plane?

True its the engine rpm that matters, if this is a mostly street car, the dual plane RPM would work GREAT.

But if I was trying to get best ET times, I would use the single plane

A M1 with a four hole spacer works great.

I run the M1 on my 360 and it has very good torque.
The M1 is ment for stock port cylinder heads and is ment for the rpm band you are running in.
The cam you have wants a single plain.
The combination is more race then street.

Both will work but I would take the M1 over the airgap.
Run the four hole spacer ======= It's the key

Great question. Im putting together a 10.7:1 340 w the comp XE282S cam and am confused on witch intake to run. Cam specs say single plane, but im thinking RPM for better low end. Im only going to be turning 6500.

Hey guys combo has changed a little, I traded my ported set of LA heads, for a set of EQ magnum style heads. I plan on doing some portwork to them and installing a set of 2.02 intake valves. does anyone here know what kind of flow numbers these heads have?I have to swap intakes, since these have the magnum style bolt pattern.

Great question. Im putting together a 10.7:1 340 w the comp XE282S cam and am confused on witch intake to run. Cam specs say single plane, but im thinking RPM for better low end. Im only going to be turning 6500.

The thing is here, what's the car is doing.

What are you doing?

Are you running the track? Singleplane

Are you running the street? Dual plane?

Decide what your doing and run the intake designed for that useage.

Your description is nearly worthless since you provide little info in jumping in on the thread. Each intake reacts differntly and works well within there design perameters. Each intake can be used well in the others catogorey. Single plane for street, dual plane for the track. But if the combo/engine/car set up doesn'tlike the intake at the track, the swap it back out.

Sometimes, a set up will like/ET better with a dual plane. Heavy cars like a dual plane.

IS your car lightened, fiberglassed, throw out the windsheild wipers and heater core? Then I'd say you have a street car that should be useing a dual plane.

-
Back