MAD MAX (Pursuit Special)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Now that car sounded mean. That is the type of idle I want for my Dodge. It was that in between smooth and lopey mean sound.

You mean somthing that sounds like you had better get out of the way.
Where did the car go? What car. :shaking2: :

memike said:
You mean somthing that sounds like you had better get out of the way.
Where did the car go? What car. :shaking2: :

Yea man, the scene where the Night Rider had taken out both patrol cars and Max is starting the pursuit special. Man that car is so mean.

Let me see if I understand this. You want your car to sound like a 1974 Ford XB Sedan with a V8 351, you blaspheemer! :scratch:

Id trade the Dart Sport for that car in a second..im NOT a Mopar or No car guy I like them all...and thats one cool car :)

krabysniper said:
Let me see if I understand this. You want your car to sound like a 1974 Ford XB Sedan with a V8 351, you blaspheemer! :scratch:

Well I love Mopar and am very much a Mopar fan. However I can admire all cars. With that said I would love my 74 Dodge Dart to have that same sound. I don't really go for the super choppy idle myself. I like the semi-smooth, rich and metallic sound. That is the sound that car had.

LJS30 said:
Now that car sounded mean. That is the type of idle I want for my Dodge. It was that in between smooth and lopey mean sound.
mine is for sale - but not cheap - "between smooth amd lopey mean" sound costs a lot of kaching, kaching :toothy7: :lol:

Eddy magnum headed 360/388 11.5CR, 254@50 cam, TTi headers and full 2 1/2" tti exhaust will do the trick.

Theres a guy in my town building the Mad Max car aparently quite expensive since its all autrailian ford parts

That was a VERY cool car, and its a 1973.

InterceptorSide.jpg

The one that was mentioned by LJS30 "the scene where the Night Rider had taken out both patrol cars and Max is starting the pursuit special" is the yellow one and was belived to be a 74, the Black one was a 73.
MaxSmoke.jpg

krabysniper said:
The one that was mentioned by LJS30 "the scene where the Night Rider had taken out both patrol cars and Max is starting the pursuit special" is the yellow one and was belived to be a 74, the Black one was a 73.
MaxSmoke.jpg

Yes that is the one I am talking about. Of course the other car has the blower. Man I love the part where the mechanic and Goose show the blower to Max!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The sound of the blower was intense.

Actually the sound you hear on a blown car is the toothed Gilmer belt making the noise. The blower for the most part is quiet.

Chuck

340mopar said:
Actually the sound you hear on a blown car is the toothed Gilmer belt making the noise. The blower for the most part is quiet.

Chuck

Lol well what ever it was it was cool!

It is darn cool, and you could get the same sound by putting toothed wide belts on your car.

Chuck

Just curious then, but why don't cars with timing belts make that noise and cars with centrifugal superchargers and V belts do make that noise.

I had a plain black one, they are a LOT bigger than what you think. Big Beasts!

Just curious then, but why don't cars with timing belts make that noise and cars with centrifugal superchargers and V belts do make that noise.

If the timing belts were 3" wide they would. Most of the sound is the air being squeezed out between the pulley and teeth.

The Jimmy diesels the blower came off of don't whine and they are gear driven.

Chuck

Max fires up the interceptor at 7:18 in the movie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYLjlpP0NY"]YouTube- Mad Max- Opening Chase Scene[/ame]

theres a guy that goes to one of the big shows here on LI that built a replica out of a Javelin. It looks really good almost exact, he still needs the side pipes and the blower. ill see if i have a pic anywhere

-
Back