Made a PCV holder for my new valve covers. Pretty sweet if I say so myself!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I put new cheapo chrome valve covers on my Ramcharger and the holes aren't the usual twist in, they require push in or grommet style breathers. I wanted a PCV but couldn't find anything locally that I liked, so I bought a chrome breather and drilled it for a PCV, but I was worried that it would suck air from the outside instead of the crankcase. I looked all over and couldn't find one I liked. I finally found a chrome oil cap and I drilled a hole just smaller than the PCV valve and then reamed the metal a little larger. Now it seals against the rubber of the cap. I bought an elbowed PCV valve and the rest is history. I love the look and it cost less than $10. I haven't cleaned the valve covers in the pics yet, so forgive the greasy fingerprints.
PCV cap.jpg
PCV cap 1.jpg
PCV cap 2.jpg
PCV cap 3.jpg
PCV cap 4.jpg
PCV cap 5.jpg

I put new cheapo chrome valve covers on my Ramcharger and the holes aren't the usual twist in, they require push in or grommet style breathers. I wanted a PCV but couldn't find anything locally that I liked, so I bought a chrome breather and drilled it for a PCV, but I was worried that it would suck air from the outside instead of the crankcase. I looked all over and couldn't find one I liked. I finally found a chrome oil cap and I drilled a hole just smaller than the PCV valve and then reamed the metal a little larger. Now it seals against the rubber of the cap. I bought an elbowed PCV valve and the rest is history. I love the look and it cost less than $10. I haven't cleaned the valve covers in the pics yet, so forgive the greasy fingerprints. View attachment 1714937036 View attachment 1714937037 View attachment 1714937038 View attachment 1714937039 View attachment 1714937040 View attachment 1714937041

Nice modification !!

Looks fine. I hope the valve covers have baffles inside especially under that cap opening. Otherwise the PVC will draw oil, exhaust will smoke.

Last edited:
There are baffles. I should have punched out the baffles under the oil cap. It took forever to get five quarts of oil down it. The pcv valve number is ev228b and it comes with two plastic tips. I have nothing on the other side, just an oil cap, the same as I have on my Dart's 408.

That is brilliant. You don't mind if I borrow that idea, do you? I'm only allowed one a week now, and thinking of something like that early in the week ruins me.

That looks good. Nice work.

That is brilliant. You don't mind if I borrow that idea, do you? I'm only allowed one a week now, and thinking of something like that early in the week ruins me.
It's a cheap Spectra oil cap from Autozone. $6.99. I bought the PCV from Napa, I just had them cross the EV228B number into theirs. $2.90. I have a step drill bit that was actually the perfect size.

1 1/4", but technically 1.22" I'm trying to find a way to do a breather on the other side with the same cap.

Damn, Im still trying to find a 1-1/2" grommet or cap that has the thicker surface area like that cap does.

The breather might be tough, with how large the hole typically is on those. Good luck and let us know if you do come up with an idea.

The grommet I stuffed into the hole originally for the breather was too big. I fought for fifteen minutes to get it in. I'll bet it would work for 1 1/2. I'm hoping to find a breather with a small, pcv sized hole. Then I can use the same part with the breather and use it as an oil cap too. I had the other breather and grommet in before I went to the new design, and it was all I could do to get the breather in the VC. I thought I might have to resort to one of the mechanic's anal lube, which is a whole 'nuther story - and a damn funny one at that.

-
Back