Made a Table Today

-
here's some quick pics of my nco sword from the marines and my k-bar they issued me before oif 2 i bought a new one and kept the one they gave me cuz it has sentimental value

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00048.JPG

DSC00049.JPG

also lil known fact the U.S. Marine is the ONLY branch of any service that lets junior nco's carry swords and the Marine dress blues is the only u.s. military uniform to contain all 3 colors of the American flag!!

Those are truly beautiful pieces and I most certainly understand the sentimental value of them. My Dad always talked about getting another K-Bar one day as well as a Garand, but sadly cancer took him before he had a chance. There is a story behind the rifle and bayonet that my Dad captured but it is for me to hold in his memory. One day if we ever meet, I may tell you about it over a glass of good whiskey.

Thank you for your pics and the information. The Marines are one of our most
elite fighting forces and they deserve the honor of a sword, junior NCO or not. :salute:

I always seem to be over or under qualified Rob. I think I'd do better in a very rural area where a "multi-skilled" person could do well. I could open a shop and take in everthing from your favorite Mopar to your computer to your hunting rifle and chainsaw. I could make furniture for the hunting cabin and replace the skegs on the snowmobile. I can sharpen an axe and fix the outboard motor on your 14' Alumacraft as well as build a workbench for your garage. I think I was born 50 years too late....:-D

That would make a good song Joe :-k =D>:rock:

If it was not for different skills I would have had a bad couple years during the resetion in 81 8)

I always seem to be over or under qualified Rob. I think I'd do better in a very rural area where a "multi-skilled" person could do well. I could open a shop and take in everthing from your favorite Mopar to your computer to your hunting rifle and chainsaw. I could make furniture for the hunting cabin and replace the skegs on the snowmobile. I can sharpen an axe and fix the outboard motor on your 14' Alumacraft as well as build a workbench for your garage. I think I was born 50 years too late....:-D

That does happen a lot for a formal job, being over qualified, nobody wants to hire you if they think this is just a bridge gap. There is and always will be a place for the "jack of all trades" kind of guy but often it's side jobs not a formal job. There isn't anything wrong with that, it many ways it's head and shoulders above the 9 to 5 grind :-D It's just an extension of the lawn mower thing you did until something better comes along :-D Print something off and put it in local mailboxes for tuneups, brake work, etc., people like handy, if I can drop it off a block away and pay less why not :munky2:

Good idea Rob and thank you! We can't put stuff in mailboxes here as it's a federal offense, but flyers are a great idea.

very true rob my dad been a mechanic since he was 18 and got ase certified now he's 46 and he's always done sidework no matter what his day job was, now he has no shop to work in and it's drivin him crazy jus about. he don't miss the money jus the work. people still come to him instead of drivin 20 or 30 mins away be it big or small or even if it's jus for his opinion..but only thing he's good at is bein a mechanic can't do anythin else scept weld of course..lol

Good idea Rob and thank you! We can't put stuff in mailboxes here as it's a federal offense, but flyers are a great idea.

Yeah, I was thinking of flyers, not sure about the fedaral offence, are you saying you can't put a flyer in a mailbox at a house? We get the chinese food menu, tree cutting services, clean your gutter, etc., etc.

very true rob my dad been a mechanic since he was 18 and got ase certified now he's 46 and he's always done sidework no matter what his day job was, now he has no shop to work in and it's drivin him crazy jus about. he don't miss the money jus the work. people still come to him instead of drivin 20 or 30 mins away be it big or small or even if it's jus for his opinion..but only thing he's good at is bein a mechanic can't do anythin else scept weld of course..lol

That's exactly it, if somebody close can fix it and for less than half the money why not? Where I am a dealership charges $100/hr plus tax, you can charge a fraction of that and everybody is happy :-D

Quote= Yeah, I was thinking of flyers, not sure about the fedaral offence, are you saying you can't put a flyer in a mailbox at a house? We get the chinese food menu, tree cutting services, clean your gutter, etc., etc.
It is a big time fedaral offence even here in Arkansas to touch mine or anyone else's mail box Rob.

thats crazy never heard of the touchin mailbox thing. crazy laws in the whole state of fla it's illegal to bath naked...true law..though i doubt its ever enforced

Yeah, I was thinking of flyers, not sure about the fedaral offence, are you saying you can't put a flyer in a mailbox at a house?

Yep, no joke Rob. Flyers are put on fences, jambed in door cracks, put between the storm door and entry door etc. It's a pain in the *** that I have go all the way out the fence to pull the flyers out, but it's meant to keep people out your mailbox and stealing mail. People still do it (break into mailboxes to steal checks and identities) but it's very obvious and they usually get caught and do real time, as they should.

That's exactly it, if somebody close can fix it and for less than half the money why not? Where I am a dealership charges $100/hr plus tax, you can charge a fraction of that and everybody is happy :-D

Right now people have lost their cars and are just taking the bus in my hood. Lot's of local shops have closed too. It's really bad here in Colorado but not so bad in other states.

It is a big time federal offence even here in Arkansas to touch mine or anyone else's mail box Rob.

Yes sir Mike and that's for every state in the USA. :-D

Well I'll be, I've never heard that about mailboxes. For all I know it's the same here but nobody cares? We get all sorts of flyers in there, seems kind of nuts that the 12 year old down the road can't put a flyer in your mailbox saying he mows lawns. Well it was a thought :munky2:

here..they wedge the flyer in between the mail box and the mail box flag...

Sec. 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title. AMENDMENTS 1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for "fined not more than $300". 1970 - Pub. L. 91-375 substituted "Postal Service" for "Postmaster General". EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1970 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 91-375 effective within 1 year after Aug. 12, 1970, on date established therefor by Board of Governors of United States Postal Service and published by it in Federal Register, see section 15(a) of Pub. L. 91-375, set out as an Effective Date note preceding section 101 of Title 39, Postal Service.

Sec. 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title. AMENDMENTS 1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for "fined not more than $300". 1970 - Pub. L. 91-375 substituted "Postal Service" for "Postmaster General". EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1970 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 91-375 effective within 1 year after Aug. 12, 1970, on date established therefor by Board of Governors of United States Postal Service and published by it in Federal Register, see section 15(a) of Pub. L. 91-375, set out as an Effective Date note preceding section 101 of Title 39, Postal Service.

Ah I see, that isn't at all the angle I was thinking, thought it might have been more of a security thing. So it's just the Government trying to make sure they get a cut of anything they can possibly get their grubby little mitts on. :munky2:

-
Back