Magazine Builds

-
Its interesting to read that it wanted 36 degrees total timing with a modern designed chamber.

I'd be curious to see if any of these magazine builds are run at the track to see if the mph confirms the engine dyno number.

I'd be curious to see if any of these magazine builds are run at the track to see if the mph confirms the engine dyno number.

Some are but not many, don't get why a formula found on the web is considered more accurate than a dyno ?
Does anyone know how they came up with those formulas in the 1st place and wouldn't they had to use dyno to check the accuracy anyways ?

Some are but not many, don't get why a formula found on the web is considered more accurate than a dyno ?
Does anyone know how they came up with those formulas in the 1st place and wouldn't they had to use dyno to check the accuracy anyways ?

I wasn't even referring to the formulas. I was just thinking in terms of common sense. There seems to be a lot of "dyno'd" 400 hp engines out there running mid 13's at 102 mph. That just doesn't pass the straight face test. You kinda have to take magazine dyno numbers with a grain of salt and understand their intent and associated inherent bias.

I do enjoy the parts comparisons though. IMO, that's one of the great advantages of a dyno - minimizing variables, testing specific parts against each other, and maximizing the tune of a specific combo.

I wasn't even referring to the formulas. I was just thinking in terms of common sense. There seems to be a lot of "dyno'd" 400 hp engines out there running mid 13's at 102 mph. That just doesn't pass the straight face test. You kinda have to take magazine dyno numbers with a grain of salt and understand their intent and associated inherent bias.

I do enjoy the parts comparisons though. IMO, that's one of the great advantages of a dyno - minimizing variables, testing specific parts against each other, and maximizing the tune of a specific combo.

Cause dyno 400hp isn't installed 400 hp, accessories breather exhaust tune etc.. can be very different from how they dyno'd it.
Plus you know a lot of those magazine builds were built by member that are builders on this site.
But either way it's not the numbers that matter but the gains and where they are made, who cares if it actually 350 hp but they say 400 hp, but I doubt in this magazine conspiracy lol.

Those Edelbrock Victor small block heads are great cylinder heads. I can’t believe they didn’t take off like wildfire.

-
Back