Magnum 380HP Camshaft

-

70aarcuda

Master Hoader of SBM
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Ok...doing my 1st 360 magnum engine. I have a 380 HP hydraulic roller cam. Trying to degree this cam in, only thing I know about it is

duration at .050 is 230/234 with a 108 LSA.....

I tried to degree the cam in using the MP method of .050 before and after max lift, add the two degrees and divide by two...I get 103 degrees...I am ok with that....but went I go to check the the duration of the camshaft...I am not getting close to 230 on the intake....

I am going to double check everything again...I just changed out degree wheels...I upgraded from the small compcams wheel...10 inch I think to the moroso 18 inch wheel...

Anyone know the camshaft intake opening and closing valve?

using compcams tool that rides directly on cam lobe with roller lifter adapter....

Mopar doesnt measure at .050, at least it wasnt a while ago. I think your duration would be >[email protected]. Where is the cam card? No matter, your lobe center wont change with either baseline as long as you measure both sides equally. Are you using the side of the lifter or the pushrod? careful of the preload. a dry lifter will just collapse with every rotation.
<<oops just read your method...carry on>>>>

284 at .050....nope...roller cam...dam pro stocker cam...
Never seen a MP cam with a cam card....

If you google that cam...the general answer is that it is 230/234 at .050....did a little researching before I did the post....was hoping someone knew what the timing events are....

the compcam tool rides directly on the roller lobe...it is a solid ...no preload....

I guess I should posted a picture of the tool...LOL

Does this sound right? "...The roller is a fairly stout stick, with a long .288 intake, .292 exhaust duration, and .501/.513 lift..." and repeated with duration....."the 380hp version cam with a 288* / 292* roller. .501"/.513" lift (230*/234* @ .050)

I haven't dialed a cam in 15 or 20 years, but as I recall you don't dial it to the 0.050 specs. You dial it to the centerline of the lobe versus the TDC of #1 compression stroke. You find the centerline of the lobe by splitting the degrees you read off the degree wheel at a (somewhat random)convenient chosen lift each side of the lobe nose.
For MP cams they have a given recommended C/L number to shoot for.
Ok, re-read your OP. Yeah, you're doing it ok, if I understand you correctly. The trouble you're having is trying to generate their "mythical" numbers. I don't think that is a realistic thing to do. I never tried that, I just used the lift to identify the MP cam, and then went by their C/L recommendation.

Last edited:
Does this sound right? "...The roller is a fairly stout stick, with a long .288 intake, .292 exhaust duration, and .501/.513 lift..." and repeated with duration....."the 380hp version cam with a 288* / 292* roller. .501"/.513" lift (230*/234* @ .050)
Spot on.. Fwiw.. Reagan WAS .right ..:)

run it through desktop dyno for valve events. I uploaded that software for free years ago on Moparts.

ok...since I have two of these dam camshafts..i yanked the 1st one...and put the second one...also got a BIGGER degree wheel....she said size matters...

With the second 380 hp cam...I get 230 at .050....but as with the 1st one I am getting .305 lift at the cam...times 1.6 gives me .488 lift......suppose to be .501...
cam is center lined at 106

20180301_170313_resized.jpg

Ha! I got a big one like that! Cant wait to use it.... My girlfriend fainted first time she saw it.... Lol

this wheel is the best bang for the buck....comp wants dam near 200 bucks for their big one....this was around 60 bucks at Jegs..

and it fits the compcams crank tool....

I have the Moroso as well. My old one is a vintage 8" Direct Connection one.

no thanks...it is degreed in....was just wondering about the difference in lift...but both checked out the same....

maybe some better pics might help. I can't see how you indicated off the cam/lifter.

I use the compcams tool that rides right on the cam lobe...........LoL>...clearly shown in picture....and using the roller lifter adapter that goes with it......NMFR.......

I use the compcams tool that rides right on the cam lobe...........LoL>...clearly shown in picture....and using the roller lifter adapter that goes with it......NMFR.......
I could see some kind of tool, but it WASN'T clear how it worked. I was hoping for a pic of the valley, so I could better see how it was indicated. In my experience, the lift is usually within a few thousandths of being as advertised. I usually check that with a dial caliper before I install the cam. It's probably a better idea to check that before you go to all the trouble of installation.

ok...since I have two of these dam camshafts..i yanked the 1st one...and put the second one...also got a BIGGER degree wheel....she said size matters...

With the second 380 hp cam...I get 230 at .050....but as with the 1st one I am getting .305 lift at the cam...times 1.6 gives me .488 lift......suppose to be .501...
cam is center lined at 106

View attachment 1715148090
are the rockers REALLY 1.6? Are they oem, or aftermarket? Have you tried measuring at the valve retainer, to determine actual lift? Maybe that might calc closet to .501".

wow...all I measure was the lift at the cam and got .305 of an inch....and times theoretical lift of 1.6 should be the advertised lift of .501....and it is not it is .488 ....and I measured the same on two camshafts with the same part number.....

that compcam tool is very actuate.....it rides on the cam lobe with a "probe" that simulates a roller lifter...and there is a flat tappet one also...FOR flat tappet cams...Been using this type of tool for 35 yrs....as my 1st on was made by MSI......and I still have it.......

I don't think measuring at the valve retainer is going to be more actuate then the cam lobe as you will have loss of lift due to the 59 degree lifter valley...and 48 degree valve train....

wow...all I measure was the lift at the cam and got .305 of an inch....and times theoretical lift of 1.6 should be the advertised lift of .501....and it is not it is .488 ....and I measured the same on two camshafts with the same part number.....

that compcam tool is very actuate.....it rides on the cam lobe with a "probe" that simulates a roller lifter...and there is a flat tappet one also...FOR flat tappet cams...Been using this type of tool for 35 yrs....as my 1st on was made by MSI......and I still have it.......

I don't think measuring at the valve retainer is going to be more actuate then the cam lobe as you will have loss of lift due to the 59 degree lifter valley...and 48 degree valve train....
Well, it's more accurate to the valve, lol

-
Back