RPM Air Gap intake
408 Stroker kit
1.5 Crane Gold
1971 Demon (3200lb)
3.91 gears
Compression 10.5:1
727 with reverse manual and 2800 stall
NOT a daily driver. Cruise and strip

Originally, my cam choice was a hydryaulic roller xr286hr from Comp. for a stock displacement Magnum. I came across a RIDICULOUS deal on a Scat 408 stroker kit a couple days ago (internally balanced, forged pistons and rods ) and I was all in. So my knee jerk reaction was.... "why not more cam?" I returned the XR286HR cam and ordered the XR292HR cam. I know the cam says pro-street , 4.10 and 3k stall BUT its spec for a 360 in the recommendations. Wouldn't a 408 soak up a bit of that agressiveness? Anybody running one?
20-814-9 - Xtreme Energy™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts

Yes and no. IMO, it'll be a nice fit and a lot of fun. I'm not to sure how that converter will play out.

And this is the problem with changing the plan. It may end up costing you a lot of money. It already costed you some with sending the cam back.

Yes and no. IMO, it'll be a nice fit and a lot of fun. I'm not to sure how that converter will play out.

And this is the problem with changing the plan. It may end up costing you a lot of money. It already costed you some with sending the cam back.
Hey Rumblefish360! The voice of reason.... Agreed. I'm hoping to recoup a little of the money with the sale of the 340 in the car now. I weighed the cost of the overbore, and the cost of the kit against buying bearings, rod bolts, good rings, resizing rods if needed, and missing a weighted flexplate ($189 from Hughes) for a stock type build. BONUS was forged rods and pistons and a steel cast crank and internal balance. Supposedly the converter was purpose built for a 340 running a 727 and 3.91 ... so I am hoping it doesn't get too loose with that 408 torque wrenching on it. After the sticker shock of building a Mopar ANYTHING I'd like to hope I don't have to buy another. On another note, the cam change was a simple return at a local parts house. They didn't even notice I'd used a 20% off coupon online, or got a $10 gift card for every $100 I spent ;) and took it back full price.

Thanks bro. To many years of scrimping and saving to get a new part. Best advice I can give to anybody is make a plan and stick with it. Changing it becomes expensive and money to throw away like the U.S. Government does on problems (real or perceived) I can not do. LOL!

The extra torque of the 408 will increase the stall speed of a converter. How much is the question.

Yes the increased displacement will eat a little cam duration and it will (kind of) eat up some of the agressiveness of a larger cam.

But how much of this change work out together and will it be acceptable is an unknown to me. I have been running manual trans cars forever. My auto trans cars are normally very mild builds.

Edelbrock Magnum Heads, mild porting/clean up
2002 Roller block
RPM Air Gap intake
408 Stroker kit
1.5 Crane Gold
1971 Demon (3200lb)
3.91 gears
Compression 10.5:1
727 with reverse manual and 2800 stall
NOT a daily driver. Cruise and strip

Originally, my cam choice was a hydryaulic roller xr286hr from Comp. for a stock displacement Magnum. I came across a RIDICULOUS deal on a Scat 408 stroker kit a couple days ago (internally balanced, forged pistons and rods ) and I was all in. So my knee jerk reaction was.... "why not more cam?" I returned the XR286HR cam and ordered the XR292HR cam. I know the cam says pro-street , 4.10 and 3k stall BUT its spec for a 360 in the recommendations. Wouldn't a 408 soak up a bit of that agressiveness? Anybody running one?
20-814-9 - Xtreme Energy™ Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts
I agree with rumble, But...I think it'll work out by the skin of its teeth.
These things make a lot of torque and like right now. The convertor , street wise, is short by 400 rpm....but most important with choosing cams, is gears....and you do have at least a 3.91 gear. Though the combo is a hair wider then you'd want, I say run it. I bet it hauls ***.

-
Back