Magnum 5.9 piston crown thickness

-

TT5.9mag

Two atmospheres are better than one
Reaction score
I am going to be fly cutting a stock set of magnum 5.9 pistons so I cut one with a broken skirt in half to see how thick the crowns were. The thinnest part (in the dish) was .230 and the thickest part was .320.
91CC560A-0675-4DDC-AE4D-6181E9B02BEC.jpeg

5586A3C6-7B80-42EF-8AD2-9E9DCE3BC1BC.jpeg
C05542F5-2827-4C08-AEE8-23355C4A19FF.jpeg

323DA2FC-B884-418A-9991-9AF7EB96DC33.jpeg

How deep is the dish already ,,,and what lift are you aiming for ?
What’s the deck clearance ?

Tommy
Dish in the stock piston is .090 deep.
Lift will be just under .600 with 1.6s
Stock magnum pistons were .051 in the hole and I’ve found conflicting info on stock head gasket thickness, .050-.080. I cut the decks .010 to clean em up and I’m running cometic MLS .027 head gaskets. So I’ll be .068.

I'm curious why you think they need fly cutting. Can you at least divulge the why?

i'm guessing because of this sauce:
But the lift actually has very, very little to do with piston to valve clearance. That's just not something I would even worry about.....especially with dished pistons.

I'm curious why you think they need fly cutting. Can you at least divulge the why?
Ok ok, I’m doing something weird. I’m putting w2 heads with 2.055 valves on a stock bottom end magnum 5.9 shortblock with a mildly aggressive hydraulic roller cam and twin turbos. As we all know (I hope) lift has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance, it’s the duration and ramp rates that get the valve in to the piston. Myself and Brian at IMM (he did my heads) are not sure if we’re going to have clearance On the stock piston with no valve reliefs. Even with a huge dish, the valves will hit on the outer edge of the flat portion of the top of the piston. I’m currently waiting for my blocks and relocation kit from Mike at B3 racing and then I can measure for pushrods and check P to V. It’s gonna be close.

Ok ok, I’m doing something weird. I’m putting w2 heads with 2.055 valves on a stock bottom end magnum 5.9 shortblock with a mildly aggressive hydraulic roller cam and twin turbos. As we all know (I hope) lift has nothing to do with piston to valve clearance, it’s the duration and ramp rates that get the valve in to the piston. Myself and Brian at IMM (he did my heads) are not sure if we’re going to have clearance On the stock piston with no valve reliefs. Even with a huge dish, the valves will hit on the outer edge of the flat portion of the top of the piston. I’m currently waiting for my blocks and relocation kit from Mike at B3 racing and then I can measure for pushrods and check P to V. It’s gonna be close.
I don't think it will be an issue. But remember, when you mock it up, Don't measure the clearance with the piston at TDC. That's not where they are closest. Go by the cam's valve events.....I'm sure you know that and I'm preachin to the choir.

But the lift actually has very, very little to do with piston to valve clearance. That's just not something I would even worry about.....especially with dished pistons.
i'm aware.

the lift + the 1.6 ratio and mad mike's history made me figure he was going to turbo it with some level of crazy duration. add in the bigger valve and it would probably be too close for comfort.

i'm aware.

the lift + the 1.6 ratio and mad mike's history made me figure he was going to turbo it with some level of crazy duration. add in the bigger valve and it would probably be too close for comfort.
I got the secret out of him too. See how I did that? LOL

I don't think it will be an issue. But remember, when you mock it up, Don't measure the clearance with the piston at TDC. That's not where they are closest. Go by the cam's valve events.....I'm sure you know that and I'm preachin to the choir.
Yea I know how to measure for it. I’ve mocked it up a bunch already and and it’s very close with the cam in at 109.5, it won’t have more than .020 on the intakes right at the edge of the dish. Before I got too crazy I wanted to know how thick the crowns were and how much they’d need cut.
A12C68C7-0E6B-40DE-BF96-A48471234453.png

That piston above was cut with a 2.05 fly cutter I made from an old valve. I’ve since made a new one with a 2.100 valve for a little more radial clearance.

Yea I know how to measure for it. I’ve mocked it up a bunch already and and it’s very close with the cam in at 109.5, it won’t have more than .020 on the intakes right at the edge of the dish. Before I got too crazy I wanted to know how thick the crowns were and how much they’d need cut.
View attachment 1716277208
....and you're SURE.....like 100% and not 99 that's that measurement is correct? It just doesn't seem possible they are that close. I guess they could be. If they are, I'd be skeered to cut those pistons. That'd be gettin that crown pretty thin, IMO.

That piston above was cut with a 2.05 fly cutter I made from an old valve. I’ve since made a new one with a 2.100 valve for a little more radial clearance.
What was the clearance with that cut? If it was enough, it might be ok. But I wouldn't cut those crowns very deep at all. They aren't too thick to begin with. That's a failure you don't want, Beavis.

....and you're SURE.....like 100% and not 99 that's that measurement is correct? It just doesn't seem possible they are that close. I guess they could be. If they are, I'd be skeered to cut those pistons. That'd be gettin that crown pretty thin, IMO.
I’m 100% sure and I’m cutting them if I need to. I’ll wait for final valvetrain stuff from B3 then decide how much to cut em. Thankfully most of the material will come out of the thickest part of the crown then just kiss the thinnest part.

-
Back