Magnum 5 Speed update

-

bahoward

Reaction score
Not using this trans. The mount is about 6" past the cross member and it is too wide. The cross member would have to be cut out. After doing more research I don't think it would take any type of horsepower or pounding.

What is a Magnum 5 speed? Do you have this trans? Let's see some pics please...

Is this an NV3550? I had one in my Dakota. The truck weighed 4000 pounds and ran high 12's for a few hundred passes. The only caveat was I didn't use slicks, launch hard or power-shift, but the transmission lasted about 75,000 miles. If it were cheap and easy I would run one while I saved for a T56, Passon's new one or something else stronger.

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the NV-3500 or the Ax-15, both were used in Magnum bases Dakota's and Rams, throughout the 90's and 2k. They are not a very strong trans, but they are reliable. I've beat on an AX-15 for years before I stroked my Dakota's 318, then it was time to step it up to a TKO-600.

Don't sell the AX15 short! The Toyota Supra guys are putting close to a 1000hp in front of modified Aisin-Warner boxes.
There are many oem applications for the AX15 with a tremendous aftermarket following. If you need 5 gears you should look at them.

Don't sell the AX15 short! The Toyota Supra guys are putting close to a 1000hp in front of modified Aisin-Warner boxes.
There are many oem applications for the AX15 with a tremendous aftermarket following. If you need 5 gears you should look at them.

You're over here too Gary? Geez! :D

The AX-15 is a good transmission. Not bulletproof by any means, but not a lot of newer transmissions are without going through them. They can definitely be built up to take more power, but even in stock form I think they're strong enough for just about anything a small block could throw at them on the street. Unless you're drag racing all the time with sticky tires I don't think you'd have any issues.

-
Back