Magnum Exhaust Manifolds in an A Body

Mopar Exhaust Systems

1. dustoff440

dustoff440 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:51 AM
    Heres the dyno tests on the manifolds

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/exhaust/9.html

As you can see there isnt much of a difference between the magnum and 340 manifolds.

I cant find it again but I saw a chasis dyno test on a 340 in a Duster which had mild "plus" engine and there was only 20 horsepower between the headers and the 340 and mag manifolds

Also have seen where a couple of guys have installed mag manifolds in a bodies with MANUAL steering where there was some massaging and grinding but had a sucessful install. I have NOT seen a manifold with power steering without there having been major frigging and grinding.

2. kujo

kujo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Just looked at the dyno results that dustoff440 posted and they didn't even flow the left side magnums. Also, didn't post whether they were the big port or small port magnums. Bummer. It would have been nice to be able to compare everything.

3. jim ayers

jim ayers fastback fish guy

Local Time:
    I am getting my 340 ready to place in my 69 barracuda and a big chunk of my passenger side exhaust manifold just fell off (an old crack). I am not a header kind of guy so I am interested in using magnum exhaust manifolds. My car is manual steering, so I am clear there, but what about my manual transmission z-bar? Will it interfere?

thanks

4. kujo

kujo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The Magnum manifold dumps right where the z bar is. You'll need a hydraulic clutch setup to run a manual trans.

5. kujo

kujo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I test fitted my driver side manifold with Flaming River manual gearbox to power steering coupler and there's still some interference. Not a lot but still some. One area is where the transmission gear select lever arm is (column shift) I've since cut that section of the gear shift tube off (not pictured) another area is the manual gearbox just contacts the bottom of the manifold. Very little grinding to the manifold should fix this. And last the allen set screws on the coupler. One of the screws clears fine and the other hits the bottom of the manifold. I'm going to drill an indent in the shaft to sink the screw into this should take up the amount required to clear the manifold when the steering wheel is turned.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      File size:
      187.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      File size:
      170.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      File size:
      178.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      File size:
      170.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Karl M

Karl M Life long Mopar lover

Local Time:
    3:51 AM
    So for you guys that have settled on paying for a left side factory A body 340 manifold, due to power steering fitment issues, what part # is it?

Karl M.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.