magnum force coilover conversion

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this coilover conversion Kit? Looking of some finished pictures of them in an A body. Do you like them better than the torsion bars? I don't have the funds to make the full K member coilover swap. I know that there has been threads talking about them, but no real feedback on completed swaps.

Does anyone have experience with this coilover conversion Kit? Looking of some finished pictures of them in an A body. Do you like them better than the torsion bars? I don't have the funds to make the full K member coilover swap. I know that there has been threads talking about them, but no real feedback on completed swaps.
i'll see if i can find a thread, there was pics posted of their stuff breaking just driving on the street, no racing. I'd stay away from Magnum force and AJE racing, both have had very mixed reviews and several examples of straight out breakage.

If you want a coil over conversion kit get with @HemiDenny,

If you decide to save up for a full conversion with K frame and all, there's only 3 companies i'd deal with based on their quality and reviews. In no particular order:

Gerst Tubular Suspensions aka GTS
Rielly Motorsports aka RMS Alterkation
HemiDenny aka HDK

All those companies have great products and you get what you pay for. They do cost more than the others, but when you're talking suspension stuff and conversions from factory, your car and ultimately the lives of those riding in it come into play. I went Gerst front and rear, 4 corner coil overs.

All that said, is your car a street cruiser, race car, pro-touring ? the factory t-bar set up with today's aftermarket has some very nice options as I'm sure several others will chime in with more details.

I have a magnum force full conversion on my 68 fastback. I did make and install some home made strut rods to help support the lower a arms. Don`t have a lot of miles on it, but so far so good. My engine combination wouldn`t have worked w/o it.----------jfyi

+**** the first thing, I did, before I even had the engine built. Almost got them in the way of my motor plate ! Their tied to the firewall, upper shock mount and the typ of the shock mount itself, then to the frame .

Anyone running hemidenny coilover kit on the street? On the web site he states that it is for light weight race cars? What light weight?

Anyone running hemidenny coilover kit on the street? On the web site he states that it is for light weight race cars? What light weight?

I got a couple dozen running the coil over only conversion.....I can think of only one that is on a race car. I use the same exact upper shock mount and chromoly support hoops as in the HDK coil over /rack and pinion conversion and have used them for over 20 years now....similar set up on heavier B Bodies.

The chromoly LCA works with a removable 100% bolt on rear support and cheats the shock attaching points outward slightly to help clearance on the 2-1/2" OD coilover.

Last edited:
I purchased the entire conversion kit for my 67 Formula S...I've had nothing but problems with it and with Magnum Force. First, it came with lower control arms that didn't fit, which they eventually replaced. There were no instructions, I had to ask for them. The instructions I got don't mention the upper control arm bump stops must be cut off. The first set of motor mounts I received (for an extra charge) didn't come complete. Then they told me to purchase some from Schumacher Creative Solutions but won't refund my money for the ones that didn't work. Now the engine fits but the distributor hits the wiper motor (too high in front), had to remove it. Its been a year and I still can't drive the car because the alignment shop says it can't be aligned without the front tires (same overall size as stock) hitting the fenders and the tie rod ends interfere with the sway bar end links. Their customer service is terrible as well, they won't respond to calls or e-mails. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau and they basically ignored it until the last minute. When they did reply, they blamed me (I should have e-mailed rather than called), the car (it's too old) and the alignment shop (they're incompetent). They also said they were too busy to get in touch with the guy at the alignment shop while the car was still there. I had to have it towed to and from the shop. I submitted a review on their website and they didn't post it, presumably because it was negative. I'd STAY AWAY from these guys.

What are your reasons for wanting to do a coilover conversion? What's the intended use of the car? Are you doing an engine swap or something that needs additional clearance?

I purchased the entire conversion kit for my 67 Formula S...I've had nothing but problems with it and with Magnum Force. First, it came with lower control arms that didn't fit, which they eventually replaced. There were no instructions, I had to ask for them. The instructions I got don't mention the upper control arm bump stops must be cut off. The first set of motor mounts I received (for an extra charge) didn't come complete. Then they told me to purchase some from Schumacher Creative Solutions but won't refund my money for the ones that didn't work. Now the engine fits but the distributor hits the wiper motor (too high in front), had to remove it. Its been a year and I still can't drive the car because the alignment shop says it can't be aligned without the front tires (same overall size as stock) hitting the fenders and the tie rod ends interfere with the sway bar end links. Their customer service is terrible as well, they won't respond to calls or e-mails. I filed a complaint with the better business bureau and they basically ignored it until the last minute. When they did reply, they blamed me (I should have e-mailed rather than called), the car (it's too old) and the alignment shop (they're incompetent). They also said they were too busy to get in touch with the guy at the alignment shop while the car was still there. I had to have it towed to and from the shop. I submitted a review on their website and they didn't post it, presumably because it was negative. I'd STAY AWAY from these guys.
Interesting . I have had none of the troubles u have had. I run an engine plate w/ mine. No strutrods are nice, I couldn`t run my combination at all if they were in the chassis. I talked to the guys at mag. force a couple of times, they were very friendly and helpful to me. They were too high on the diff. front coil springs I had to buy tho. MY complete front end was bought new / used, in very tight shape w/ nothing broke or worn. Went together very well. Like I stated before, I did build a pair of strut rods for the lower a arms, to reinforce the back bolt that is rumored to break. I may build a hair beefier pair one of these days tho. I think they have made that back lower A arm bolt heavier on the later ones.--jfyi

What are your reasons for wanting to do a coilover conversion? What's the intended use of the car? Are you doing an engine swap or something that needs additional clearance?
I simply wanted to make the car handle better and drive like a newer car would; rack and pinion steering, coilover suspension, bigger brakes, lighter weight front end, more clearance for big tube headers etc.

Interesting . I have had none of the troubles u have had. I run an engine plate w/ mine. No strutrods are nice, I couldn`t run my combination at all if they were in the chassis. I talked to the guys at mag. force a couple of times, they were very friendly and helpful to me. They were too high on the diff. front coil springs I had to buy tho. MY complete front end was bought new / used, in very tight shape w/ nothing broke or worn. Went together very well. Like I stated before, I did build a pair of strut rods for the lower a arms, to reinforce the back bolt that is rumored to break. I may build a hair beefier pair one of these days tho. I think they have made that back lower A arm bolt heavier on the later ones.--jfyi
I am sure they can build stuff that works...in my case there were many problems and it wasn't the problems that frustrated me most but the lack of timely response or any response and the defensive posturing by their representative.

I am sure they can build stuff that works...in my case there were many problems and it wasn't the problems that frustrated me most but the lack of timely response or any response and the defensive posturing by their representative.
you're not alone. Many folks seem to be bit by them.

I simply wanted to make the car handle better and drive like a newer car would; rack and pinion steering, coilover suspension, bigger brakes, lighter weight front end, more clearance for big tube headers etc.

Well, you can make the car handle better and drive like a newer car would without spending the money on a coilover conversion. There's nothing magic about coilovers, they're just a spring and a shock. There's no dramatic improvement in geometry or handling just by going to coilovers. You can add bigger brakes with stock spindles, there are quite a few options actually. Now, the rack and pinion is something you're not going to get without the coilover conversion, at least if you want the geometry to work. And of course headers are a tight fit for torsion bar cars, those are legitimate reasons that you can't really address if you stay torsion bar.

As far as the weight savings, it really depends. If you compare like-to-like, ie, manual steering to a manual rack, the weight savings is not extreme. Comparing a stock manual steering set up to an HDK coilover conversion with a manual rack, the weight savings is only about 31 lbs. Now, if you compare an OE power steering set up to a manual rack HDK, that's like 72 lbs. That's using all stock stuff too, you can knock some weight of the torsion bar set up by using tubular UCA's, adjustable strut rods, etc. You can see a weight comparison I did using all the HDK numbers here [URL="http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/anybody-running-the-rms-alterkation-was-it-really-worth-the-cost.378109/page-5#post-1971737125"]Anybody running the RMS AlterKation? Was it really worth the cost?[/URL]. It covers everything including the difference between a power HDK and a Borgeson power set up for the stock K, that just falls in between though.

Now, the beginning of that thread has a whole lot of mess going back and forth between what set up is better, coilover or torsion bar. There's good info in there, and a lot of opinions. And that's pretty much how it always goes. The fastest Mopars on the AutoX and road courses are still torsion bar cars. And you can significantly improve the handling of the torsion bar suspension for about half of what it costs to do a conversion. No, you still don't get the same feel as a rack and pinion, and you still have to snake the headers through. For me, that's something I'm willing to do for a few grand in savings.

As for the coilover conversion, I would say call HemiDenny. I think his stuff is the best bang for the buck, and he's super knowledgeable about suspension design and his product. The RMS is another proven system, but it's pricey. There's a few folks that really like the Gerst stuff but I'm still not completely sold, at least not compared to the HDK. I would not run the Magnumforce. And of course, full disclosure, I don't run any of them. I run a torsion bar set up, although it's about as close to 100% modified as it gets. And I will totally admit being biased toward the torsion bar suspension, that's my opinion.

Well, you can make the car handle better and drive like a newer car would without spending the money on a coilover conversion. There's nothing magic about coilovers, they're just a spring and a shock. There's no dramatic improvement in geometry or handling just by going to coilovers. You can add bigger brakes with stock spindles, there are quite a few options actually. Now, the rack and pinion is something you're not going to get without the coilover conversion, at least if you want the geometry to work. And of course headers are a tight fit for torsion bar cars, those are legitimate reasons that you can't really address if you stay torsion bar.

As far as the weight savings, it really depends. If you compare like-to-like, ie, manual steering to a manual rack, the weight savings is not extreme. Comparing a stock manual steering set up to an HDK coilover conversion with a manual rack, the weight savings is only about 31 lbs. Now, if you compare an OE power steering set up to a manual rack HDK, that's like 72 lbs. That's using all stock stuff too, you can knock some weight of the torsion bar set up by using tubular UCA's, adjustable strut rods, etc. You can see a weight comparison I did using all the HDK numbers here Anybody running the RMS AlterKation? Was it really worth the cost?. It covers everything including the difference between a power HDK and a Borgeson power set up for the stock K, that just falls in between though.

Now, the beginning of that thread has a whole lot of mess going back and forth between what set up is better, coilover or torsion bar. There's good info in there, and a lot of opinions. And that's pretty much how it always goes. The fastest Mopars on the AutoX and road courses are still torsion bar cars. And you can significantly improve the handling of the torsion bar suspension for about half of what it costs to do a conversion. No, you still don't get the same feel as a rack and pinion, and you still have to snake the headers through. For me, that's something I'm willing to do for a few grand in savings.

As for the coilover conversion, I would say call HemiDenny. I think his stuff is the best bang for the buck, and he's super knowledgeable about suspension design and his product. The RMS is another proven system, but it's pricey. There's a few folks that really like the Gerst stuff but I'm still not completely sold, at least not compared to the HDK. I would not run the Magnumforce. And of course, full disclosure, I don't run any of them. I run a torsion bar set up, although it's about as close to 100% modified as it gets. And I will totally admit being biased toward the torsion bar suspension, that's my opinion.
Great points and info. I have had a few torsion bar barracudas in my time and they weren't bad handling cars even in stock configuration. In this case, I wanted something completely different that very few had and...I had the money to spend. In hind sight, I would never have gone with Magnum Force had I known what they were like. As it stands today, I could return the car to the stock k-member but I'm going to exhaust all of the avenues available to make this work first because I don't relish the thought of reversing the process at this point.

Great points and info. I have had a few torsion bar barracudas in my time and they weren't bad handling cars even in stock configuration. In this case, I wanted something completely different that very few had and...I had the money to spend. In hind sight, I would never have gone with Magnum Force had I known what they were like. As it stands today, I could return the car to the stock k-member but I'm going to exhaust all of the avenues available to make this work first because I don't relish the thought of reversing the process at this point.
C'mon, it wouldn't be a Mopar if we didn't take two steps back for every step forward.
(just kidding.)
(kinda)

my magnum force front end is the dragracing set up, it`s geared more for straight line stuff, handling isn`t a big concern to me, as long as it`s acceptable, and mine is. I am a little careful about twisting it around in off camber turns tho. l do feel better about it w/ the strut rods I made too. What kind of troubles are u having w/ urs ? I kept the complete form S suspension I took out in storage too.

-
Back