magnum head question

-

jjr426

Reaction score
I need to ask a question that has probably been asked a bunch of times but i am not good at looking through old posts so i apoligize ahead of time for asking a question that may have been asked before. I was just given an older 318 magnum i was told out of a 94 anyway i dont want to use the bottom end just the top end am i going to want to use the 318 heads or are the 360 magnum heads different or better to use i have a 360 la in my 72 dart and was thinking about putting these heads on that but needed to know if the 318 heads were the way to go or if i should look for 360 heads thanks for the help Justin

Original equipment 318 and 360 Magnum heads are identical, as far as everything I've ever heard.
Just be sure you have them magnafluxed for cracks before you put them on, and be aware of the different- (from L-A motors) top-end oiling and pushrods. Magnum heads tend to crack between the valve seats, I am told.

Ok i wasnt sure about that i knew about the rest of the top end stuff i needed but wasnt sure if the heads were the same I had heard that they were the same and different depending on who i talked to. Thanks

I am about 99-percent sure that they are identical. I've NEVER heard that they weren't the same, right down to the combustion chamber volume in the head.

YEP! 318 & 360 Magnum heads are the same. No difference. Makes it easier for the company to make just one head that works for both.
I'm actually surprised they kept the 360 instead of stroking and boreing the 318 to a 360. Or bringing back the 340 blcok and adding stroke to the bore needed.
(Wuold have opened the door to a cheap 372 stroker.)

OH, no problem jjr426, it can be a pain to search sometimes. It is easier to just simply ask and recieve. Follow Bill's advice. It's good.

great that will work now i am glad i took that motor for free although i guess i couldnt have complained about free. Thanks guys.

-
Back