Magnum heads and cam selection??

-

DusterKrazy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting together a bracket package using the Indy LA-X heads. I heard you can only go so big with the cam if you use Magnum heads because after so much lift, it will require machining??

This will probably be an LA engines using the Magnum heads and hydraulic cam.

If I want to go with a solid cam, I guess I am stuck using LA style heads due to the valvetrain arrangement-right?

There is no real limit to lift or posibilities with these RHS heads. These are not like the factory Magnum heads, they are Far better.

You can run a solid cam with them, no problem. Machine work will have to be done to accept the dual spring you will need to run with a solid cam. But that goes for any iron head.

Don't get the Magnum ones. The rockers are stud mounted so not as sturdy at higher lifts and spring pressures. I went with the whole magnum head craze and wish I hadn't.

Don't get the Magnum ones. The rockers are stud mounted so not as sturdy at higher lifts and spring pressures. I went with the whole magnum head craze and wish I hadn't.

There are different ones?? or are you saying to go with an LA head altogether??

There is no real limit to lift or posibilities with these RHS heads. These are not like the factory Magnum heads, they are Far better.

You can run a solid cam with them, no problem. Machine work will have to be done to accept the dual spring you will need to run with a solid cam. But that goes for any iron head.

So I'd have to buy a new rocker setup to use on the Magnum heads utilizing a solid cam??

You need new rockers with either head. Since you want to run a solid you'll need adjustable rockers so you can make the necessary lash adjustments. You just need to figure out which way you want to go.

There are different ones?? or are you saying to go with an LA head altogether??

Go with the LA head. you said you were thinking of the LA-X heads. Those are LA heads, but the chambers are the same as magnum chambers. They would be a good choice. RHS heads can be LA or Magnum rocker setup.

Go with the LA head. you said you were thinking of the LA-X heads. Those are LA heads, but the chambers are the same as magnum chambers. They would be a good choice. RHS heads can be LA or Magnum rocker setup.

Oh Sweet! Magnum chambers with the LA rocker setup? Does indy offer these or where can I get them??
All I seen on the Indy site was Magnum style heads??

Thanks. I definetly want the heads you described. Or can I get them through Hughes??
I want to use 273 adjustable rockers and a solid cam.

Problem solved.:thumrigh:
IMG00155-20100316-2157.jpg

The RHS heads have the closed combustion chambers (magnum style). Here they are at Hughes, or the link UOP posted. If you get Magnum heads (with magnum stud-mount rockers) you can get the rockers POS Dakota posted, but those are $475.

Well, I just looked, and regular shaft mounted LA rocker sets are about the same for aluminum roller rockers, or you can get stamped steel ones for about $170.

I still say go with LA heads because it leaves a lot more options for intakes and rockers. I had my Magnum heads drilled so they can take magnum or LA intakes.

Well as far as cam selection for a mag,dont get a dual pattern cam. They dont need the extra help on the ex side. The port there is very good. Get a single pattern cam for a mag. I think this is a fairly unknown thing as far as mags go. In fact I sometimes see 1.5 ratio rockers on the exh of a mag in an attempt to restore flow balance. It's part of the secret in how to get a mag to perform.

I am seeing the heads on the link above for $1300 and the heads from Hughes are around $800 or so??

I want the flow advantages and combustion chamber of the Magnum heads but the LA rocker and intake setup. I think this is the best bang for the buck.

The $800 ones are untouched and have smaller valves. The ones at IMM are like the Hughes "Super Prepped" heads ($1395). The Hughes Super Prepped ones don't include springs, the IMM ones in the link above do. You'll come out ahead with the IMM ones. I've dealt with both Hughes and IMM. Nothing against Hughes, but IMM comes out ahead in my book.

-
Back