Magnum heads on a 71 318

-

19dart71

Reaction score
Are there any significant modifications to make if I want to bolt on some stock magnum heads on my 71 318? Any recommendations on a cam that would compliment the heads?

well new push rods lifers head bolts intake rocker arms valve covers intake gastets it takes a lot to change but they run goood

Lets start off at the top--

Intake manifold-bolts to the heads different than on LA motors. Intake choices are Edelbrock or the Crosswinds intake. I can't recall the exact number, but the torque spec is in inch pounds and don't exceed it.

Valve covers-Magnums are 10 bolt, LA engines have 5 bolts. Either will work.

Make sure you get the rocker arms with the Mag heads or else you'll have to buy the setup.

Pushrods-Mopar makes conversion rods 7.625 long. Many of us ended up with 7.650 long pushrods to get the correct lifter preload. Whichever pushrod used, it must be able to have oil pass thru it.

Lifters-Like the pushrods, they must be able to flow oil. Most lifters are capable of that. Just look for a small hole in the center of the plunger.

Head bolts-available inexpensively thru your local dealer--if he hasn't been
shut down. NAPA has them also.

Use LA motor head gaskets. Valve cover gaskets depend on which type of covers you are running. Try and get the Edelbrock intake manifold gaskets, the stock set has the plenum gasket that you won't need and is over $30. The Edelbrock set ( P/N 7277) is half the price.

Umm, head torque spec is a whopping 105 ft lbs (spec for Mag engine, which I used). Remember, the rocker arm ratio is 1.6, the LA is 1.5 This will slightly change your cam specs. Valve springs...well...do a search on those...lots of info and opinions on those.

Overall, it isn't any different than normal head removal/installation.

-
Back