Magnum in early a

-
5.2 gets a standard small block pan for an la 318. 5.9 uses la 340 360 pan . But you have to use the la pan gasket for whatever size engine and pan you have. The magnum gasket won't work.

In my experience with BOTH of the magnum motors I've had in my Duster the magnum blocks all run a 360 pan setup. Mopar standardized the rear seal size for the 3.9,5.2,5.9l engines. I didn't have one handy when I build mine originally so I just took the stock truck pan and a 318LA pan and cut the two of them then welded it back together.

TT'74
Thanks for the follow up on this topic. Seems to be lots of misinformation about this. I trust your judgement since you have worked on both 5.2 and 5.9.

TT'74
Thanks for the follow up on this topic. Seems to be lots of misinformation about this. I trust your judgement since you have worked on both 5.2 and 5.9.

In Jan I put an 01 5.2 magnum in my 65 cuda. The oil pan that fit is for a LA 360. The difference is in the rear main size.

I used the new style reusable gasket for the magnum and it worked great.

Also, the LA dizzy works in the magnum...

Hope this helps.

jameybro,
Can you clarify your post about the gasket? Do you mean that you used a reusable LA-style gasket with the 360-LA pan? Do you have a part number for the reusable pan gasket?

In Jan I put an 01 5.2 magnum in my 65 cuda. The oil pan that fit is for a LA 360. The difference is in the rear main size.

I used the new style reusable gasket for the magnum and it worked great.

Also, the LA dizzy works in the magnum...

Hope this helps.

+1...I just recently dealt with this. Find an LA 360 pan, and it'll bolt right on-no problems. I used one of the Summit Racing stock replacement pans, and it went on like a dream.

Patrick,
To clarify, I ordered a pan gasket from an '01 Dodge truck (since that's what my engine came out of).
I believe any gasket from a magnum 5.2 will work. They haven't changed much over the years. Gotta love Mopars :)

Here's 3 choices...I used the FelPro one with a few dabs of Locktite 518 in the corners at the mains.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1361944,parttype,5436,a,www.bing.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2B1965%2BPLYMOUTH

Also, high volume oil pump from Summit with the correct pickup. Came as a kit.

Summit Racing SES-4-60-08-019 Pump, pickup, drive gear

Hope this helps.

-
Back