Magnum oil leak problem

-

Punisher66j

Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I know that you are supposed to use the magnum oil pan gasket and I did and that you are supposed to use extra gasket maker up front to try and seal it. I am still having a problem with it leaking. Any ideas on how to remedy this? I don't want to have to pull the engine just to change the gasket again.

I know this has been discussed before and there are opinions on both sides on using the magnum oil pan gasket or the LA. You're definitely not "supposed" to only use the magnum oil pan gasket. Either one works, just one requires extra sealer. All I know is that the LA works as it's intended to, without any "extra sealer". Now I do like the later one piece gaskets, but didn't want to run into the problem you're possibly experiencing because I didn't do the "extra sealer" part right. I've never had a problem with the LA oil pan gasket on my magnum, or any previous LA motors.

same here. i used an la 360 gasket on my magnum just to be sure. alot easier to but a gasket on with it on the stand than it is in the car.

I just put the 360 car pan on my 5.9 this morning, I used the magnum gasket, and I did a test fit before using any sealer to see what it looked like.
I ended up putting a blob of the Permatex ultra-gray sealer at the front corners where the la pan is shaped a little different. Hopefully I'll have this thing done and in the car in a few weeks and we'll see. I hope I don't have any leaks, but it looks pretty good.
Here's a few pics. The area at the rear, where some people worry about the gasket fitting with the ridge on the pan looks great the gasket is squeezed nice and tight. And a pic of my sealer at the front, a little messy where I wiped off the overflow.

IMG_20170423_163313633.jpg

IMG_20170423_172955599.jpg

IMG_20170425_231748975.jpg

Even on an LA, I also put some extra sealer where the pan rail and timing cover come together.

That area in the pic above is also an area I put sealer on both sides of the rubber gasket, esp where MileHigh's smudge is.

I'll be pulling timing cover soon and trying to reseal the front of the oil pan. Hopefully I will make quick and easy work of it.

-
Back