Magnum Powered Early A-Body

-

Porter

Reaction score
I am very interested in installing a Magnum 5.2 (complete with MPI) into my 66 barracuda. Has anyone out there performed or encountered a similar swap? I would love to see some pictures or hear about any problems that you have encountered. Thanks.

have seen swap in mags found this add that should answer your Q about the motor mounts. From Schumacher Creative Services, 2025 N.E. 123rd, Seattle, WA 98125
'63-66 A-Body S6 to 273/318 or 340/360 Conversion, 273/318 to 340/360 upgrade, or 273/318 Replacement. Exclusive, mounting brackets bolt a 273/318 or 340/360 directly to your Slant 6 K-member — with no cutting, welding, suspension changes or K-member removal required. Also available for 273/318 replacement or 273/318 to 340/360 upgrades. Powder-coated brackets, factory-style insulators, grade 8 bolts, $135. With driver's side Magnum Mount, $165. $12 S&H.

Now you will also need to run wiring for MPI that I have not tried yet. So someone else feel free to jump in

Thanks for the info! I am still poking around the big block dart forum looking for the swap info (no luck with the search engine)... I just bought a 95 dakota 5.2... I figure I'll get out the measuring tape this weekend and see what I'm up against.

i forget who it was who did it.. but i'm pretty sure two different guys did.. ask about it in the general section..

I did one into a '68 Dart Sedan.
Member "ski" on BBD (not sure if he's here) has a 5.2 in a '65 Dart, also.

Ski's is the better conversion, as his wiring was all nice and pretty, mine was more or less a hacked up mess (CAREFULLY HACKED, mind you!) that worked.

The installation of the engine is really straightforward, you just use stock 272 mounting pieces, with a '70-'72 A body V-8 Radiator, but in your case the exhaust manifolds will be tricky, unless you want to delete the E.G.R., at which point you can simply use the stock 273 manifolds for your application.
Otherwise you can make the passenger's side Magnum (E.G.R. side) clear the fenderwell.
You might want to confer with ski to confirm which manifold clears his '65.

When I did mine, a '93 360, I started with a running and correctly functioning system and slowly, systematically, weeded out the non-essential wiring, leaving E.G.R., ignition, fuel and fuel/egr related sensors (T.P.S., MAP, MAF, etc), along with crank sensor.
I also kept speed sensor and O2 sensors.
It was basically a "Cut a few wires, start the engine, and repeat" process.
It took me 3 careful days, with a few tense moments.
The trick is to identify the items you DON'T want to remove, say #1 injector wiring, or crank sensor wiring.

As in some religions, it's all about isolation and the ability to perform it correctly. :D

Keep in mind that the temperature and oil sensors can be wired into the stock guages via stock wiring, as they use the same voltages and sender resistance is the same.
A voltmeter should be used, instead of an ammeter, to show charge.

I was at one time going to refine the wiring in mine and do a few extra basic (With all E.GR. and emissions) wiring looms to sell, but interest was lacking, so I scrapped the idea.

Mark.

-
Back