Magnum questions?

-

mycuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
1- is there a stock mag head with Springs to handle 550 lift cam?
2- can I re- use roller cam lifters?
Any way to check them?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

1- is there a stock mag head with Springs to handle 550 lift cam?
2- can I re- use roller cam lifters?
Any way to check them?

Thanks in advance.
Dave
I'm just shopping for a cam for my 5.9 and one thing I've learned is that the stock Magnum springs are very weak, if you're going with Any cam upgrade you will have to do springs as well. And I've been told you can reuse the lifters if they look good. Not no idea how to check them

The lifters can be re used as long as the rollers are smooth on their OD, roll smoothly and pass a visual surface and cup inspection.
The factory Magnum heads can only go to about .500 max lift without cutting seats or using longer valves and matching springs.
My cam is .512 and I had to get the special retainers for it to go to that safely.
There is no way an uncut stock Magnum head is going to take .550 lift without longer stems and springs.

Going to .550 lift on a stock Magnum head and springs isn't going to happen.
It takes cutting the seats or longer stem valves with matching springs for that lift, or you could get that lift with the Hughes retainer set made for .620 coil bind specs and that set comes with new springs made for that lift.
Hughes Engines

The lifters just need a good inspection of the roller surfaces, outer shell and pushrod cups.
The rollers should all be about the same, as in how tight they are on the roller axle. (no notable looseness)

I have about 10 months on my 5.9 (probably 15,000 miles) with the original pushrods and lifters with the kit from Hughes and it's running great.

Going to .550 lift on a stock Magnum head and springs isn't going to happen.
It takes cutting the seats or longer stem valves with matching springs for that lift, or you could get that lift with the Hughes retainer set made for .620 coil bind specs and that set comes with new springs made for that lift.
Hughes Engines

The lifters just need a good inspection of the roller surfaces, outer shell and pushrod cups.
The rollers should all be about the same, as in how tight they are on the roller axle. (no notable looseness)

I have about 10 months on my 5.9 (probably 15,000 miles) with the original pushrods and lifters with the kit from Hughes and it's running great.

Thanks trail.
I was told only needed to change Springs on stock magnum heads?
Is that wrong?
Summit (comp cams) sells cam I'm talking about.

Thanks.again
Dave

Thanks trail.
I was told only needed to change Springs on stock magnum heads?
Is that wrong?
Summit (comp cams) sells cam I'm talking about.

Thanks.again
Dave
Please send me specs on cam you used

Thanks, Dave

Also. You have 4spd or auto?
I'm going 4spd.

Dave

It's an auto overdrive from a Dakota.
The cam is an Oregon cam grinders regrind 214/224 .512 lift that I picked for torque that supposed to do 415lbs at 3,500 RPM's.
The bottom is stock but it has the EQ heads with the LA bolt pattern intake mounting.

I think the springs were close but doable but the retainer to valve stem seal was what would hit.
Problem is that the springs suck anyway, so I felt I would be well off doing that Hughes spring and retainer set.

You know who could tell you exact and for sure would be Evan (magnummopar) on here.

It's an auto overdrive from a Dakota.
The cam is an Oregon cam grinders regrind 214/224 .512 lift that I picked for torque that supposed to do 415lbs at 3,500 RPM's.
The bottom is stock but it has the EQ heads with the LA bolt pattern intake mounting.

I think the springs were close but doable but the retainer to valve stem seal was what would hit.
Problem is that the springs suck anyway, so I felt I would be well off doing that Hughes spring and retainer set.

You know who could tell you exact and for sure would be Evan (magnummopar) on here.[/

i ran a hughes .544 lift cam with just a spring change on a stock head with no issues

i ran a hughes .544 lift cam with just a spring change on a stock head with no issues

Well, there ya go then. :D
Evan would know within thousands what you can do, but with mine I remember it being questionably close.

Well, there ya go then. :D
Evan would know within thousands what you can do, but with mine I remember it being questionably close.

Thanks for all replies, not sure yet but gives me some thought pattern, this is a low buget get in car thing for many other reasons alone.

Dave

Can't go much over .500 lift. I bought hughes springs and retainers, stock heads ended up with a .512 lift camy from Hipotek. They are awesome there. I have videos of checking cleaeance. Rite at about .530 lift the retainer/lock hits the valve seal.

Can't go much over .500 lift. I bought hughes springs and retainers, stock heads ended up with a .512 lift camy from Hipotek. They are awesome there. I have videos of checking cleaeance. Rite at about .530 lift the retainer/lock hits the valve seal.

Im looking at Comp Cams CCA-20-745-9 .480 lift
Can I get away with same springs for basically stock motor/ manual trans street use?
Appreciate the response......
Thanks, Dave

Im looking at Comp Cams CCA-20-745-9 .480 lift
Can I get away with same springs for basically stock motor/ manual trans street use?
Appreciate the response......
Thanks, Dave

I wouldnt. That cam will be safe for sure with stock heads, and probably fine with the stock springs. But for 203$ for springs, retainers and locks it's something to consider. The stock springs really are weak.
Here's a link. This guy's good.
Dodge Magnum 5.2/5.9 Valve Spring Kit Wiith Matching Retainers and Keepers

They are off. Did a visual cant see anything? Is there certain areas by valve passages to look for?

Thanks

They are off. Did a visual cant see anything? Is there certain areas by valve passages to look for?

Thanks

Get them Magnafluxed because its almost guaranteed that they are, Now, does that mean anything?? Thats up to you. Mine were and i was on the fence for 2 months on whether or not to replace them and like many opted to go with EQ's. Waiting for them to show.

Jake

Get them Magnafluxed because its almost guaranteed that they are, Now, does that mean anything?? Thats up to you. Mine were and i was on the fence for 2 months on whether or not to replace them and like many opted to go with EQ's. Waiting for them to show.

Jake
Jake, Your Inbox is full again.
Please check our conversations.....I have a Problem, Might be nothing though.
Thanks...Eric

Can't go much over .500 lift. I bought hughes springs and retainers, stock heads ended up with a .512 lift camy from Hipotek. They are awesome there. I have videos of checking cleaeance. Rite at about .530 lift the retainer/lock hits the valve seal.[/QUOTE. Is it the hpt210xp?
Hpt210xp?what's it in?experience with it?

-
Back