Magnum roller lifter question

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

In the process of getting my 5.9 magnum broken down for a trip to the hot tank etc. The rollers on the lifters feel good. They look okay too. I was thinking about running them until I talked to Tim over at Hughes this morning and found out I can't replace them w/o the heads coming off.

Hrrmmm.... Engine had 110,000 on it and they weren't tapping. But the internals of the engine are a bit grimy and it looks like the owner may have skimped on the oil changes (based on blow-by, not wear. There seems to be very little wear)

Has anyone taken them apart and cleaned 'em? Good bad? Tim says the snap ring is directional. Any other tips?

Or should I just bit the bullet and by new ones.

Thanks,

CE

I am going down the same basic road. I started out with the idea of puting a cam in a running motor, and now I am only using the block and a couple of other parts, since i found it needs to go over size. Lifters from Rock Auto cost $122 for Melling brand lifters. A good investment considering what a failure could cost.

I am going down the same basic road. I started out with the idea of puting a cam in a running motor, and now I am only using the block and a couple of other parts, since i found it needs to go over size. Lifters from Rock Auto cost $122 for Melling brand lifters. A good investment considering what a failure could cost.
Holey cow I didn't realize they were that cheap. You are talking about ROLLER??

I have bought the Melling magnum roller lifters off ebay for 75 dollars for a set

....and found out I can't replace them w/o the heads coming off....

i think that´s not true. I put on new heads on my engine, torqued them down....and forgot to put in the roller lifters (LA Roller Block, but afaik the same lifters than the magnums). I was able to put the lifters in with the heads installed. It was close, but not a problem. Just for your information.

Michael

I know the roller lifters will not come out if you have aftermarket eldebrock heads.

....and found out I can't replace them w/o the heads coming off....

i think that´s not true. I put on new heads on my engine, torqued them down....and forgot to put in the roller lifters (LA Roller Block, but afaik the same lifters than the magnums). I was able to put the lifters in with the heads installed. It was close, but not a problem. Just for your information.

Michael

Interesting. I have EQ heads but haven't tried passing a lifter through them yet.

Thank you,

-
Back