Magnum Swap Checklist...... this is a long one.....

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

I am going to do a Magunm Swap into my 68 Val. Donor engine is a 360, out of a 1999 Ram. Looks clean on the inside, but I will disassemble and check it all. The car is currently a 273, 4 speed with an 8.75 rear. Gears are currently 2.90 but switching to 3.23 489 chunk I have or maybe 3.55's. One day I will go EFI but for now it is going to be carbed. The following is my list so far and I'd appreciate any additional input from those who know. Also some questions along the way.

-360 Motor Mounts
-Ram Van PS mount (or relocate, or modify batt tray)
-360 Flywheel for external balance (or internally balance engine? Yes, no?)
-Low Pressure Elec. Fuel Pump (keeping serpentine set up)
-Rad Hoses, Serpentine Belt, etc
-Oil Pan, car type (probably baffled Kevko. The Milodon road race pan is EXPENSIVE)
-EQ Heads (already have. supposed to be set up for up to .515 lift, have to confirm this)
-Mr Gasket Head Gaskets (thin .028 to raise comp)
-Cam, (TBD, have to figure out head spec, gears, tires, blah, blah)
-Headers, TTI shorties (or make adapter for my 340 mannies already on car. I disdain headers, but may have to use 'em this time)
-SFI Harmonic Balancer (is this necessary at 400hp?)
-Oil Pump and pickup tube (what type? hi flow?)
-Intake manifold (was thinking pro products crosswind)
-Air cleaner
-Lifters, pushrods, rockers (TBD based on cam, etc)
-Gasket kit
-Freeze plug and pipe plug kit
-Distributor bushing in block (does the magnum use these like the LA's did?)
-Distributor, and ignition stuff (have HEI, with new dist on my 273, will use that)
-Carburetor ( I have a big thermoquad that was rebuilt by a pro, but I think that needs adapter to work right?? May have a carter but probably too small, may just have to buy one)

That sound about right?

Thanks for input, thoughts, experiences, stuff I forgot, stuff I'm doing wrong, etc.

CE

Might rethink the head gasket thickness. Iirc the magnum pistons stick out of the hole .020 I went with a felpro 520SD or SD520. I can't remember now. Has a compressed thickness of something like .054. You'll need it to get piston to head clearance.

Might rethink the head gasket thickness. Iirc the magnum pistons stick out of the hole .020 I went with a felpro 520SD or SD520. I can't remember now. Has a compressed thickness of something like .054. You'll need it to get piston to head clearance.

They were .060 or so in hole on my 96 5.9 Magnum.

Everything i read, including replacement piston specs shows the piston will be over .050 in the hole. If you are sticking with stock stroke parts, a good stock damper is enough. Racing regularly with a lot more rpm and i would consider upgrading.
Have you considered 92 year Magnum exhaust manifolds? I understand they have a good sized outlet and flow as well as 340 manifolds.

Mine was .055"-.060" below the deck, stock rotation assembly. Might call Oregon Cams for a bumbstick, a lot cheaper than 300-400 bones, for a new one.

Everything i read, including replacement piston specs shows the piston will be over .050 in the hole. If you are sticking with stock stroke parts, a good stock damper is enough. Racing regularly with a lot more rpm and i would consider upgrading.
Have you considered 92 year Magnum exhaust manifolds? I understand they have a good sized outlet and flow as well as 340 manifolds.

I don't think the driver's side magnum manifold works on A bodies. I did have a magnum manifold on the pass side originally but then switched to a 340 manifold when I bought the Accurate Exhaust Systems kit.

The only thing I could find that works with the Magnum, 4 speed set up was the TTI shorties. I hate headers, and I especially hate long tube headers so I think the TTI shorties will end up being the answer. If anyone can tell me different I'm all ears though!!!

Mine was .055"-.060" below the deck, stock rotation assembly. Might call Oregon Cams for a bumbstick, a lot cheaper than 300-400 bones, for a new one.

Yeah, I haven't measured my '99 but the Pistons look to be at least .050 or .060 in the hole.

-
Back