Magnum swap: power steering solution?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Ok...here's another Magnum swap question...when using the original brackets from the 318, the power steering pulley is off by almost a centimeter from the crank pulley when mounted up with the new Magnum motor. I'm not sure where the difference in spacing is coming from...but is there a solution to this?

Magnumswap.com has been a great resource but I didn't see anything on the site about this issue.

Thanks for any tips!

You didn't like the serpentine set-up? I used the magnum pump on mine with a Firm Feel Stage 2 box. I did swap out my stock battery for a narrower one, and cut and re-welded the battery tray.

Moving your pump forward is a matter of adding spacers, but moving it back more is more difficult.

Attachments

• eng4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 318
You didn't like the serpentine set-up? I used the magnum pump on mine with a Firm Feel Stage 2 box. I did swap out my stock battery for a narrower one, and cut and re-welded the battery tray.

Moving your pump forward is a matter of adding spacers, but moving it back more is more difficult.

That's a damn tidy solution!

My magnum is a crate motor...id have to convert the timing cover, etc over to run the serpentine setup...

And yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to move the pump back which is a bit trickier.

I wonder if A/C- non A/C belt routing might be the solution ?
get a different crankshaft pulley so it will line up ?

(I'm drawing a blank on how they run the belts)

Pics of your problem would help out a lot. Besides, I am planning on doing a magnum swap in my 71 Barracuda and would like to see how it ends up.
Rod

I've been looking into this too. Researching those magnum swap articles and what-not. I'd be very interested in what you find out because from those articles it sounded like once you trade out the timing cover from magnum to LA version the brackets should swap right over...

below is a photo of my 318 and the brackets I have. Are yours anything close to them? I figure mine could be different because I swapped out from a 76 Cordoba for the steering pump.

Attachments

• IMG_1093-01.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 322
Reviving an old thread out of desperation...
Thanks again to those who have already offered some thoughts but after fixing a few other items on my Dart, I'm becoming increasingly weary of driving around with a non-powered power steering box...though my arms
are getting pretty toned up from the effort :D

My original plan was to hold off until I could buy a proper manual box and an adapter for the column but I'll be honest, these parts seem to be way more expensive than they ought to be. I'm sure there's a good reason for this but they're a bit out of reach at the moment.

So I took another crack at making the pump work.

I have the Federal pump (round reservoir) which has a press-on pulley. I removed the pulley and cut down the "spacer" section of the pulley and pressed it on as far as possible...I made some progress there. It's now ~1/2 the width of the pulley away from lining up but I'm out of room. I tried it just for laughs (figuring that the belt would either come off the pulley or just get shredded but to my amazement, I had power steering for 1/3 mile before it threw the belt. :D

What would you do next? I thought about swapping to a different crank pulley but everything else seems to line up correctly...

I will snap a picture of this if it would help...thanks yet again for any suggestions!!

bouchillonperformance.com has a spacer kit for the power steering pump brackets. I bought one for mine. Went from a 318 to a 360 magnum crate motor

Im using most of my 318 bracketry, i was using it all when I ran a federal (swapped to sag). All pulleys are from a 71 a/c car.
Pics, dude, pics.
You can always make brackets with tubes/rod ends or evem heavy duty alum turnbuckles.

Not that I have ever done this swap but I seem to recall reading an article in a mopar magazine were they used a van P/S pump bracket.

Brian

I know the pulleys lined up perfect from my LA 318 to my Mag 360.
I used all LA parts on the Mag block, off the engine that came off the vehicle.

Could be wrong here because I am trying to visualize what could be going on and could be picturing it incorrectly, but it sounds to me like maybe you have a mis-matched set of pulleys.

Assuming this is a non AC, power steering setup, you should have a two groove pulley on the crank, with the inner groove slightly smaller than the outer (if my memory is correct). On the water pump, you should have a single groove pulley that lineup with the inner groove on the crank. The alternator should have a single groove as well, although I have seen a double groove alternator pulley line up fine before. The alternator and water pump both run off the same belt, and should line up with the inner groove on the crank pulley. The power steering pump runs off the outer groove on the crank pulley and doesn't run anything but the PS pump.

Again, just trying to see it in my head, but it kind of sounds like you are trying to run the PS pump off the inner groove of the crank pulley, or you have a 3 groove crank pulley which is for an AC setup and probably won't work at all.

Just as a reference, pretty sure the AC setup ran the PS pump and water pump on the same belt, while the AC compressor and alternator where on a pair of belts. That setup uses a shorter water pump pulley and neither the water pump pulley nor crank pulley will work without the AC compressor.

Maybe that helps? Just an idea.

BPE Power Steering Pump Bolt & Spacer Kit (9040)

If you have a small block with a Saginaw Pump, and do not have a P.S. Pulley for it. Then This is Your Answer! BPE offers This Special Bolt & Spacer Kit, that allows you to use our Big Block P.S. Saginaw Pulley on your Small Black, & Everything Aligns Correctly with this Kit!

Interesting. Had no idea that a BB pump had a different pulley than a SB. Could be the source of the problem as well, that would sure trip me up.

Interesting. Had no idea that a BB pump had a different pulley than a SB. Could be the source of the problem as well, that would sure trip me up.

Neither did I, but it was the solution to properly align the pulleys going from a 318 to a 360 magnum motor! They did all the guesswork for you with the proper sized washers etc..with a diagram too...

-
Back