main cap and head studs?

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
finally yanked my 318, i knew it had head studs but just found out it has main studs also, are these reusable or should i replace if i ever rebuild

My opinion, and I'm broke and cheap so keep that in mind, is you can reuse them if it's a basic low power rebuild. If you're going to squeeze on the motor I'd replace them because they're probably stretched and I'd rather not have to take things apart again.

Generally speaking, head and main studs are not what you would find in what you would call a "typical" rebuild; to find them in a 318 is surprising! The previous owner definitely took a road less traveled and good for him!!

No worries about reusing them, you are good to go.

yes, he definitely did everything mopar suggested. except the mag wheel lock on the windage tray, it should be interesting getting that off

ya its like a mcgard style, the guy put engine together in 91 so who knows what wheel lock the companys from.local tire shop didnt have anything that would fit. i'll have to get creative i guess

I'm usually reasonably imaginative, but I can't picture how a wheel lock is holding you up..........Channel Locks come to mind.

How about a pic..........

ive tried the two channel locks i have, half heartedly mind you, cant get a grip on it. concentrating on getting the 360 in between rain showers and frost in the morning. no garage of course!

Many tire shops have special sockets that get driven over locking lug nuts to remove them without the key. Customers tend to lose them at times. I use to have a set of these removers, but I have since sold them. Before I had them I had pretty good luck driving a 12 pointed socket over them and using an impact to remove them. It did result in some broken sockets though.

-
Back