Maintenance Free Batteries?????

-

62BT409

Reaction score
No as we all know ... as time is going on, the battery industry is coming out with maintenance free batteries. I ...above all...have had no luck with these batteries. The manufacture said I am not maintaining them properly and that I should get 10 years out of them. I have been getting about 3 years out of them And since a good portion of us want an OEM looking battery, we go after the high $$$$ battery to maintain the look. The battery sales place mentioned that I should be using a "Odyssey battery charger". SO before some one chews may *** off for not asking a qusetion.....

THE question is what do you know about the Odyssey Charger?

"The manufacture said I am not maintaining them properly"........................

Kind of negates the name Maintenance Free Battery, doesn't it. :)

Oh, and I can't help you with the Odyssey Charger, but I will be checking back to see what others have to say about it.

"The manufacture said I am not maintaining them properly"........................

Kind of negates the name Maintenance Free Battery, doesn't it. :)

Oh, and I can't help you with the Odyssey Charger, but I will be checking back to see what others have to say about it.

:-D:-D That's what I say. THEY say that you should be checking the volts on the battery and keeping them charged up to the specs. The Odyssey can charge or maintain up to 4 batteries..."they say"

Maintenance Free has to do with check and maintaining fluid levels. Any battery that is discharged down on a regular basis will develope sulfate deposits on the battery paltes. This can result in the battery not recharging properly and deepening the ever visious cycle until the battery fails. Keeping the charge up prevents this, although over charging will boil out the fluid on most batteries again resulting in plating out and a possible short circuit between plates, which then results in a battery explosion when you try to recharge. When I quit driving my Dakota regularly I went through two batteries in three years and these were Maintenance Free ones. Now I drive it at least once every two weeks and try to drive it every week to keep the battery charged up. My boat has multiple charger/maintainers installed so I don't have to remember to charge them on a regular basis.

-
Back