Make your stock shifter a slap stick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

duster360

Reaction score
Thought I would share some info that I found. Found a company that has a shifter gate for stock Mopar shifters that will make them a slap stick and still look stock. The plus side is that it's not a permanent modification and you can always go back and put the original parts back in later if you decide to go back stock. Here is the link:

http://www.duncan-motor-sports.com/2.html

Nice link dude! And for $30 bucks, nice deal!

Thanks, I thought so too. I just put a floor shifter and console in my 67 Dart and was thinking how nice it would be to have something like a slap stick from a challenger or cuda. Then one day I was flipping through one of my Mopar Muscle magazines and there was the ad! It was perfect because I could keep my stock look and still be able to quickly shift my quick winding 340.

I'm wondering if it'll work on my '79 shifter. My Magnum could use such a thing!

ROFL They can patent that if they want but I did it well over 2 years ago. I went so far as to reverse how the detent operates. The paw lifts up rather than push down. Most any modern automatic shifter knob can be used. Shown is a BMW shift knob. My small tribute to the period of time that Germans owned most of Chrysler. Still can't decide if I like the burlwood insert or the chrome insert better. Easy enough to change it back to burlwood if the chrome gets worn.

Attachments

• bmwcuda shifter .JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,156
  • my interior.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 1,365
SORRY GUYS ...it is a POS!!! got one here bought it when good old DUNCAN came out with it couple o years back...had the same IDEA as y'all WOW I can convert to slapstick action with just a plate...I ponied up the then $25 plus 5 off EBAY. it is a POS!! followed installation instructions to the letter...even adjusted the button throw by loosening and tightening the button to increase or decrease the throw... C R A P!!!!!

then I took his plate and the stock plate out and matched them up.... AHHH HAAA!!!
the overall opening in the stock plate is curved, his is flat square...causes binding and inability to shift smoothly in EITHER DIRECTION

GO for it if you want to.... but I sent mine back and politely asked for my money back....that was in January of 2010.....not a peep!!! IMHO BAD PRODUCT, POOR VENDOR....NICE IDEA just executed poorly

YEP The detent pattern is arched. My looks more like a open mouth with ragged teeth.

I have had installed in my Daily Driver '68 Dart for a couple of years now.

It works GREAT..!

I did slap grease on it after assembly and from then on it shifts and operates perfectly, either in Slap Shift Manual Shifting mode or regular use..

I'm very satisfied with this product.

YMMV.

PS - I have NO Connection whatsoever with the vendor other than as a satisfied customer.
--

I haven't had the best of luck with his products either. Luckily I was able to get a refund.

Well crap! I thought I might have found something good, but it ain't lookin so hot now. Anyone else got an opinion?

REDFISH. Do you have any better pictures of the handywork to the shifter you modded. What exactly needs to be done?

REDFISH. Do you have any better pictures of the handywork to the shifter you modded. What exactly needs to be done?

I can get some pics Monday. My method is a little more complicated than simply changing the detent though. I changed the shaft length and knob type. I'm not even sure it would work with the stock knob and connecting cable. I'll answer that question in time.

He even has a pic of the curve in the stock gate on the website...

serv012.jpg

That's wild.

FYI those who have gotten a refund..ARE LUCKY!!! I was NOT so lucky and he basically told me to pound sand when the refund was requested due to lack of proper performance of his cheesy knock off

as is evidenced in the picture above and the marked up one I am about to display in my post.... you will see again that cut out is NOT in an arch to match your shifter movement...hence you WILL experience BINDING.... if you like to temp fix things by GLOBBING LUBE in there....have at it. This thing is a very poor rendition that binds and does NOT function "smoothly " as it should OR as the stock plate does... SQUARES do NOT PLAY WELL WITH CIRCLES.....PERIOD!

ALSO for the RECORD the stock SLAPSTICK plate is Arched JUST LIKE the stock regular plate to work well with the shifter arch....only the "stops" are different on the Slap plate..... FOr the most part this product is Cheesy Junk ...
If someone got one to work and are happy with it binding or greasing the living crap out of it...that is your call ....for meI prefer something that operates smoothly without a ton of added LUBE...my 2 cents again

Attachments

• SHIFT PLATE.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 944
PS to MY post of 12-23-2010, 09:45 AM...I sent him an email explaining the difficulty and conflicts with his product and politely asked for my money back....that was in January of 2010..... not so much as a "go pound sand" just nothing...I am out the shipping in both directions AND he has his $25part back to PAWN on someone else....
SOOOOO if you want a POS product that binds and has shifting conflicts AND a VENDOR that does not return communication no matter how poilte...BY ALL MEANS BUY IT AND ENJOY!!! BUY a TUB o GREASE WITH IT so you can lube it into submission!!! good luck!!!

-
Back