Making a 3-Season Driver

-

John Martin

Reaction score
So I’ve been slowly working on getting my car to the point I want it. It’s a 1970 Dart Custom sedan with a 225 and a 904.

So far I want to use it from April to November and switch to a different car that will get winter use.

Ideas on the table are:
• Hardened valve seats - Done ✅
• Electronic Ignition - Done ✅
• TTI slant six exhaust
• Kelsey Hayes Disc Brakes - Done ✅
• Torsion Bar Upgrade
• Sway Bar
• XHD Leaf Springs - Done ✅
• KYB Shocks - Done ✅

I want to keep the drivetrain original, carbureted, with the TorqueFlite. I also want to keep the torsion bars and leaf springs, but I’m wondering what other things I can do to give this car the best chance to keep up with modern traffic.

If you want o keep up with modern traffic then modern tires and better brakes would be a step in a good direction. Are you dead set on keeping 5x4" bolt pattern and small wheels?

If you want o keep up with modern traffic then modern tires and better brakes would be a step in a good direction. Are you dead set on keeping 5x4" bolt pattern and small wheels?

It has radial tires and disc brakes. It has wheels that fit, and work so I want to keep the as original as possible, outwardly, but I already put in the work for new brakes.

I think you’ve got some great parts added up there. Besides maybe making sure your choke on your carb works for when it’s cold out. My 65 Dart is an all-around year driver west coast has been since new. I upgraded to Kelsey hayes and sway bar. My only difference with yours is I have the 273.

I think you’ve got some great parts added up there. Besides maybe making sure your choke on your carb works for when it’s cold out. My 65 Dart is an all-around year driver west coast has been since new. I upgraded to Kelsey hayes and sway bar. My only difference with yours is I have the 273.

The original choke was shot. It has a newer choke that used to be NOS. The mechanicals have been sorted for the most part. I’m really looking to make the best of the car without going crazy spending boat loads of cash or altering the car so much it has none of the underpinnings of an A-Body anymore.

Adjust your mechanical valves if it has not been done lately. Makes them run lots better if never been done. Better all around power.

Seal the underside and drive it year round. I owned a 73 Dart sport in Minnesota in the late 70s . I put tall narrow snows on it and a little weight in the trunk . Freaking snowmobile ! Used to blast down the freeway in blizzards,. And delivered Dominos pizza in St Paul .

Seal the underside and drive it year round. I owned a 73 Dart sport in Minnesota in the late 70s . I put tall narrow snows on it and a little weight in the trunk . Freaking snowmobile ! Used to blast down the freeway in blizzards,. And delivered Dominos pizza in St Paul .

Been there, done that. I had another 70 Dart that rusted almost in half. It was an Illinois car its whole life. This one is a rust-free California car. I don’t want to get it salty since it’s super nice.

Been there, done that. I had another 70 Dart that rusted almost in half. It was an Illinois car its whole life. This one is a rust-free California car. I don’t want to get it salty since it’s super nice.

Yeah I understand . But those cars will go year round ...
Do they still use salt out there ?

******* speel check insert words I didn't type !

Yeah I understand . But try those cars will go year round ...
Do they still use salt out there ?

I know they will. My first Dart was amazing in the snow. It would have been perfect with a Sure-Grip.

They absolutely use salt, and they are very generous with it.

When I visited Ohio there was piles of salt on the side of the highway. I hadn’t ever seen that before.

When I visited Ohio there was piles of salt on the side of the highway. I hadn’t ever seen that before.

Yup. And the thing is the salt gets everywhere. The car I had that rusted out was off the road for 6 years before I parted it out and I found salt scale in all the seams even after it had spent a year outside.

My first 70 Dart, a GT with a 318/904, was unstoppable in winter, only time I got stuck was when the u-joint straps let go and spit out the driveshaft. A sure grip would have made it serious fun!

-
Back