Making a four-on-the-tree, has anyone tried this?

-
Saab had one as well.

Agree most of the main linkage is already there- use a separate reverse lever.

...but why?

See post #11 as to why. Also, I think it would be uber-cool as a stealth 4-speed. To update, I'm going to try this with a cable operated reverse, routed through the firewall and then to a lever or handle tucked up under the dash. I agree with the suggestions it would be super simple to do a small handle on the floor, but this is a bench seat and I don't like the idea of a hole in the floor. It rains a lot up here and I don't want any leaks.

I like it!! Always like the idea of a bolt-action shifter.

Can't see doing this to eek out the most performance, but I could see doing it just for the cool factor.

Has anyone actually done this on an A-body, using the three-on-the-tree column and shift levers on a 833 four speed gearbox? If yes, please provide some details.

Has anyone actually done this on an A-body, using the three-on-the-tree column and shift levers on a 833 four speed gearbox? If yes, please provide some details.
we did it to a mates english '59 ford zephyr, swapped out the 3 speed for a 4 speed. 1st 'was' below reverse on the column shift pattern so we switched rods around to work gears 1-4. then turned the reverse lever on the trans horizontal and added an upright reverse rod (through a grommet in the tunnel) with a small round knob. his car was a bench seat car too and the knob was close to the bench so out of the way. we made it so you had to lift it to engage reverse so you couldn't accidentally select it. it all worked fine.
neil.

It's been a while since I posted this so the details are a bit fuzzy. But I was in contact with a member (must have been on a PM) who did this. The report was it's really pretty easy and straight-forward. The linkage from the three speed translates pretty well to the four speed. Some fiddling was needed for length and shape of the shifter rods but nothing like reinventing the wheel.

I got a heavy duty cable, like for a PTO, for the reverse gear and some kind of 90* lever handle to operate it. It's all still sitting in the "to be installed" pile but I'm thinking it will be relatively simple. Haha, like mods on anything this old is simple.

-
Back