Making a rally dash frame

-

440+6scamp

Reaction score
I'm going to cut a '74 dash frame to fit a rally bezel. What is the tab just above the radio used for (circled in pic)? I don't see a need for it and don't plan to leave a tab there when I cut mine.

Also, I'll have two 3/8" holes to seal to the right of the climate controls. What's the best way to seal these holes if I'm going to powdercoat it? I'm worried that the heat from welding will warp the frame and I don't think I can use a filler if it's going to be powdercoated.

Rally Dash Frame.jpg

the frame can be mig welded it's plenty thick.

The little thing you circled is a screw support for the gauge cluster.
I put a pic up of the bezel that shows the screw hole.

Keep in mind this is a '68 dash and bezel and they did change it a bit in '68 with the thumb wheel radio.

DCP_4437.jpg

Thanks Ross. I guess I'll try mig welding the holes. I'll use tack welds and keep plenty of air on it. Hopefully that'll keep it from warping.

I don't know about power coating thought I know you can't have any bondo on it. That would be a great question for Leanna

Will do. Was concerned about too much heat but sounds like I just need to jump in and do it. Thanks

That screw and tab were added in 68 to help support the thumb wheel radio.
From what I gather , there are 3 or 4 members here currently converting from standard to rallye panels.
I sure do wish I had my modified rallye panels ready to offer.
I can't even finish this one for my own car yet. mo money mo money

67 ready for plating.JPG

If you aren't inclined to weld on your dash, look into a Permatex product called "High Temp Metal Filler" (available at some auto parts stores, but I get mine from Caswell's Plating online). Originally formulated for exhaust leaks, it's good to 2000 degrees -- perfect for powder coating -- and is grindable, sandable, and very easy to work with. It's a bit pricey though (I pay $12 for a little blister tube).

Good luck with the repairs!

Someone else just informed me that these mouting tabs aren't in the correct places on his standard dash . I guess welding will be the only option there.
I had said in other threads that converting to a rallye panel could be done in theory but I hadn't actually done it. If these headaches a deemed my fault
I apologise and offer asprin.

rallye dash frame.jpg

-
Back