Making me a wiring diagram

-

She Devil

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been hot as heck here and the garage has been sitting at a low of 200 degrees so, instead of sweating to death, I've been hiding in my cool living room and playing super nerd on my computer :) So, I've been trying to create the ultimate wiring diagram and figured I'd get y'alls input on where to go with it from here.
What I've done so far is take the wiring diagram I have and have recreated it using a graphics program. I put all the wires in color and have all the wire colors, equipment, etc. separated out by layer so I can call up a section of the diagram without having to deal with the full spaghetti of the complete wiring diagram. What I would like to do next is separate out the systems so, for example, if I was working on a bad headlight, I could have just the lighting circuit showing. I am kinda stuck on what systems I should put on it. So far I thought front lighting, rear lighting, ignition, and gauges/dash. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

Here's a jpg of what it looks like so far. The layers can't be toggled on and off in a jpg so the first pic is the whole diagram and the second is the lighting circuit. I still need to finish putting in the color labels, but it'll give you an idea of what I have so far.

wire diagram.jpg

light circuit.jpg

That would be great!Nothing pisses me off more than looking at a wiring diagram and its dont show what color the wire is,or if its a + or a negative.Of all things to fix,I think electrical problems drive me up the wall the most and your idea sounds like it would make life alot simpler =)

the color one looks like what you can buy on ebay and it's great! I do like the different layer views that would help a lot.

I think a nice ignition and charging system diagrams would help alot on here with all of the no start problems.One that shows the 4 pin and 5 pin electronic ignition system.

I think one of the best wiring diagrams would show a standard harness and different one showing the rally gauge setup. Or the best would be the standard harness to a rally gauges setup, showing you where to cut and splice to make everything work right.

1BadDodge71 and 1970Duster, if you guys could give me even a scanned in hand drawn diagram of those set ups I can draw them in the diagram. The base is for a 72 Dart/Demon, but I'd be happy to upgrade for options. :) The graphic program I'm using is Gimp, an open source program (free!!) so I figure I'll share my file when its finished and anyone who wants can use it.

I'll have to wait till my Rally Gauge setup with harness shows up, sometime next week.

Your schematic looks good. I love CAD programs. I usually separate different colors on individual layers so you can easily turn layers on or off to show only what is needed.

Good luck.

Here's a jpg of what it looks like so far. The layers can't be toggled on and off in a jpg so the first pic is the whole diagram and the second is the lighting circuit. I still need to finish putting in the color labels, but it'll give you an idea of what I have so far.

Looks Really nice! Stay bored..............haaaaaaa

Keep up the good work She Devil! When I first got into the wiring on my duster I was more than a little confused that the lighting circuit uses black for ground for the front section and black for power for the back section, I mean, really who does that?!?!
Apparently really confused the previous owner that tried to install a trailer harness and blew up all of the break lights :lol:
I've got some scans of individual circuits...

scan6-270009.jpg

scan6-270008.jpg

scan6-270007.jpg

Your schematic looks good. I love CAD programs. I usually separate different colors on individual layers so you can easily turn layers on or off to show only what is needed.

Good luck.

I started out doing this with autocad 2002, but soon realized I was going to have to draw in the lights, starter, etc either way. The Cad raster images don't render as clean, they fuzz up like crazy when you zoom in close.

player1up..... thanks!!!!!!!!! Those are awesome!!

Alright, you asked for it. Abracadabra.......POOF! You're a wiring diagram.

i like to colored diagram. i bought a laminated one at carlisle a few years ago ad use it a lot. the layered one is sure easier to use and i assume you'll be able to print out each layer separate to make it real easy to use?

i like to colored diagram. i bought a laminated one at carlisle a few years ago ad use it a lot. the layered one is sure easier to use and i assume you'll be able to print out each layer separate to make it real easy to use?

lol proof I'm a super nerd... I never thought about printing it out. I have a tablet pc and have pdfs of my service manuals, so I'm used to just taking the computer to the car. It will print out each layer separately, but the full diagram is 2 pages.

-
Back