Making Power 318

-
Does it have dual exhaust?

Start with a complete tuneup to verify timing and plugs,wires,cap,and rotor condition. A compression test can be helpful if everything else checks out ok.

So here is what I found on the motor. It’s casting number is 4387560-31827. Also it is 100% a ford 9 inch with open 3.0-3.25 gears (just guesstimating). Its got 255 radials on 15x7 cragars. I’m going to assume motor isn’t tuned correctly because it does not have the pep that people above are describing. Attatched are photos of the car and motor.

View attachment 1716040861

View attachment 1716040863

View attachment 1716040866

View attachment 1716040868
255 what? 255 60's 70's? Makes a big difference in diameter

If they are 60's and the rear is 3.0 that is 73mph at 3000RPM which is not bad for a 318 stocker and certainly not really high geared

If you are wanting to go a good bit quicker on the cheap, the idea poo-poo’ed above( swap in a 360 from a junkyard) to me would make the most sense.
that 318 probably has the pistons 1/2 a mile down in the bores, never gonna make any serious steam like that.
you can get a good running 360 for what decent slugs would cost.
just a bunch more upside with the 360. Bigger bore, more stroke, better heads, nothing bad, all good.
don’t listen to these rocket scientists on here…:D:D:poke:

My bad! It was RN series plugs, and I went from an RN14 to an RN11 projected tip. The 14s were not making the 10:1 318 happy at all.

My bad! It was RN series plugs, and I went from an RN14 to an RN11 projected tip. The 14s were not making the 10:1 318 happy at all.
Probably so. Too hot for the compression. the 14's are a stock plug for a Teen when it was a low compression 2 barrel.

The OP needs to check the transmission fluid to see if it’s scorched without the throttle valve pressure linkage hooked up. But B3422W5 isn’t wrong at all. Getting a good 5.9 Magnum with a revival and refreshing (good parts, proper tune, good torque converter) definitely would put some life into it… I like ‘em!

Does it have dual exhaust?

Start with a complete tuneup to verify timing and plugs,wires,cap,and rotor condition. A compression test can be helpful if everything else checks out ok.
Yes, It has dual exhaust. My guess is one and a half or 2 inch pipes using stock exhaust manifolds with an h pipe. Also, do you have any advice from a compression test? I cant get the tester securly on the plug holes with the exhaust manifold and angles.

The OP needs to check the transmission fluid to see if it’s scorched without the throttle valve pressure linkage hooked up. But B3422W5 isn’t wrong at all. Getting a good 5.9 Magnum with a revival and refreshing (good parts, proper tune, good torque converter) definitely would put some life into it… I like ‘em!
Also, the trans fluid was not burnt when checked, still bright red.

Yes, It has dual exhaust. My guess is one and a half or 2 inch pipes using stock exhaust manifolds with an h pipe. Also, do you have any advice from a compression test? I cant get the tester securly on the plug holes with the exhaust manifold and angles.
Are you using a compression tester that just pushes on to the plug hole?
E5A67F3F-4177-4969-BB65-8AD6235690AC.png

I’ve always hated those things. Use one that threads in to the plug hole.
0AB2A3E0-F573-4F56-9119-D3151AE629B7.png

All the parts houses have em for rent for cheap.

Once you get it all sorted out I would like to see a good mandrel bent 2.25 exhaust system on there.

Once you get it all sorted out I would like to see a good mandrel bent 2.25 exhaust system on there.
Speaking of exhaust, that could be another reason why it's a dog. If the mice have built a condo inside the exhaust / mufflers it will run like crap.

-
Back