Making The Weak 7-1/4 Rear Axle Live... Kinda

-
For the hard core Mopar people, either cut the long tube and shorten to the short side length. Then get a NEW short side axle. The reason for new is the axles can "get used" to torque applied in one direction. If you switch sides and apply higher torque, you could end up with a failed axle.
Another way is to hole saw the welds out that hold the tube in and press the tube out. Cut the axle length difference off the inner end before pressing it back in. Verify tube is straight and weld it back in. Go around the outside off the tube starting 90° apart, and verify straight. Weld one 90° and then directly across. Verify straight and weld the rest. Weld where you cut the original welds out. Weld the short side tube to the housing the same way.
That's too much work for that kind of an axle swap.

I found some 8 3/4 axles for sale, but they are from a B body.

That's too much work for that kind of an axle swap.

I found some 8 3/4 axles for sale, but they are from a B body.
the ford axles have the pumpkin offset 2 7/8" (the LH axle is longer than the RH), that's why people advocate shortening the LH side and getting another RH side. you don't NEED to do that, they fit as is.

'66-'67 B body are 59.5" wide (similar to the explorer) 68-70 are 60.125" wide (similar to the XJ cherokee).

the ford rears and the B body rears will both require spring perches to be cut and moved, as well as the driveshaft shortened. if you want to use standard offset wheels and get some decent meat in the rear, the Ranger (or explorer rear with the 1 side shortened) are probably your best bet

I picked up a 74 up 8.25 out of a Dart and put the Dakota sure grip with 3.55 gears in it.
It’s a direct bolt in with different OD bearings for the carrier.
Then the Jeep Grand Cherokee disc brakes were a bolt on.
I did replace the wheel studs with longer ones because the discs took up about 3/8.

Now if I ever need parts they are readily available.

I do not know. Axle width and perch width could be different. There are thousands in breakers, many with disc brakes. You would have to check with a tape measure. Check flange to flange using a couple of pieces of angle iron a foot long and c-clamp or vicegrip on the flange.
The centering pin on the spring would need to be checked for proper fit and the width. The advantage is the number available with 3.55 and 3.91 gears, sure grip and newer with discs, makes them fairly inexpensive.
Dakota's had a couple of widths depending on the year.
also, to note: 87~90/91 are 5x4.5 bolt pattern. 91/92~96 of that gen body style and 97~05 of the next style are 6x4.5

and discs didn't come till 03, and you'll need 16" rims to clear them.

so, sure a early dak rear with drums cut down would work and you wont' have to figure out wheel adapters.

the ranger or explorer 8.8 is a much better alternative.

-
Back