Mallory HyFire 685 DOA?

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,. A little background, I have a Mallory HyFire 685 that I just installed in a drag car project. I've had the box for about 2 years after buying it used here on FABO. I just finished the car today and installed the ignition. With only the GND and 12VDC hooked up, the display is not lighting up. I did all the typical checks of the ground wire, 12vdc, connector cleaning etc... I hooked up the remaining wires incase they triggered a circuit and turned ON. I opened it up to see if anything looked obviously fried in the power section but it appears clean. Of course there are a hundred discrete components and IC's that could have a hidden issue. Anyway.... I'm turning to you guys for any ideas or past experience with these before I spring for a new ignition box.
IMG_20220714_202015.jpg
IMG_20220714_202001.jpg

You have a line to documentation on this? I know nothing at all about them.

Not sure if this helps but I have a MSD6 and it runs directly to the battery for power but it needs switched ignition to actually come on.
Good luck

Last edited:
Found the destructions. It is similar IN THAT there are two dedicated power wires and a trigger
https://documents.holley.com/mallory_hyfire_vi_instructions_685_6851.pdf

"Long black" at top left to ground.
"Long red" at top left to "hot" power.
Red "ignition power" at bottom right to switched power

View attachment 1715956136

Interesting. I didn't see that on my instruction schematic. I'll take a closer look at that first thing tomorrow. Thank you for pointing that out.

Found the destructions. It is similar IN THAT there are two dedicated power wires and a trigger
https://documents.holley.com/mallory_hyfire_vi_instructions_685_6851.pdf

"Long black" at top left to ground.
"Long red" at top left to "hot" power.
Red "ignition power" at bottom right to switched power

View attachment 1715956136

I just connected the Red Ignition wire to the 12v ignition switch. The control box display still doesn't come on. Do you know if the enclosure needs to be mounted off ground or on ground?

-
Back