Mancini rear seal.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Has anyone use the Mancini Racing rear reartainer plate and rear seal on a 383-440? The instructions say to fold the side seals around the retainer and install. So the I guess the folded end of the seal gets squeezed between the retainer and the block? Does this sound right? And the side seals are so narrow just doesn't look like a good design to me. Do you guys use RTV at all on the side seals. I have a drip issue I need to fix and already have attempted twice to fix it with no luck. Any tips you guys have? I am all ears...Thank you

I used that one once and it works fine. But, I'm of the camp that believes there's nothing wrong with the factory ones either....seal issues are 99% of the time due to the install regardless of which retainer is used.
I use the red Viton/flouroelastomer seal and NO side seals at all. I dry-fit everything first just to make sure the bolt holes will be aligned enough with the retainer down. I let the seal dictate how the retainer sits--it should sit centered on the crankshaft. It may not if you just line the bolt holes up and tighten away, and there can be a bigger gap on one side of the seal. That's gonna be a leaker. Sometimes (very rarely) I've had to slightly enlarge one or both holes so the bolts fit nice with the seal properly located.
Clean all mating surfaces obsessively and don't get anything on them during final installation, no oil, sweat, or slobber....:D
When it's go-time I fill the side grooves with ultra-gray, and do light smear on the side and bottom mating surfaces. I let it set up for a couple minutes and gently slide it down while letting the seal dictate the final position...be gentle and let it kinda"wiggle" itself home. Don't worry about the silicone that oozes out, you'll clean it off later.
I then put the bolts in and just evenly lightly snug them.
Walk away..
Final torque them the next morning, done. I'm sure everyone has their way of doing them, but I've never had a leaker with this procedure, with any retainer.

I also TEST the seal first if the engine is out..but it sounds like you're doing it from underneath. Good Luck!

I don't use the side seals. I fill the grooves with silicon & let it cure for a day or two. Trim off any excess so that the cured sil is flush with the housing. Apply sil to the sides of the housing wall in the block & also some on the base & install the housing.

Also found when measuring aftermarket seal hsgs for seal depth that the two I measured were about 0.018" shorter than a factory housing, which itself was a little shorter than the corresponding depth of the seal groove in the block. This would not be a problem with a rope seal which conforms to shape, but a Neoprene/Silicon seal will be compressed more on the hsg side. So the seal is 'squashed' more & pressure on the crank will be uneven & the seal will probably wear more quickly where the pressure is greatest. I used the factory hsg because of it's more uniform dimensions.

-
Back