Manifold bolts

-

pha pha

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the 3 long bolts that attach the intake and exhaust manifold together?

Of course they are old and they snapped while trying to remove them.

huh?

you must be talking about a slant six...need to be a lil more clear there.lol

Match the length and go to a parts store.=5/16 18 thread I believe..

Thank you. That was easy. I hope the rest of the project is.

This is the Slant Six discussion forum.

Just be sure the replacements are strong bolts. If you ever nned to take them out the cheao ones will just snap.Grade 5 at least.

Well I finally took the manifold off. As I was looking in the head, I noticed that 4 valve stem had carbon deposits on them. I am debating wether to take the head off or not and leave it alone. It ran good. What to do.

P1010034.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010031.jpg

It is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head and intake-to-exhaust junctions. Additional info on slant-6 manifold swap techniques and components here.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want to get rid of the carbon, take it out and run it for an hour or so at freeway speeds. Easiest way I know of to take care of the problem.

Great advice thanks. You are right. I snapped 1 off on the front end of the engine. The back one was already gone. so have have to drill 2 out. I will replace all studs.

I would leave the studs that didnt snap alone. Number 1 and 6 go into the water jacket so be prepared. Do NOT use an ez out just drill over size and Helicoil or bigger stud even. If you take the head off it will be much easier. If you can get your hole started in the center it is possible to just drill the stud out and not hurt the threads.
Good luck,
Frank

-
Back