Manifold ID in early A-Body

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Hey all,
A few years back I got some exhaust work done on my 65 valiant w/ 318 and the shop said I have some rare manifolds allowing this engine to fit in the car

Driver side manifold is part # 3614395 which comes up as a 71-73 dart 318 and the passenger side has an 11 . 9 . ($) 8 which is kind of illegible hence the money sign

Any idea what they were talking about?

Someday I may upgrade but I wanted to figure out what they were talking about...possible the driver side since it clears my manual steering box nice and clean?

Thanks in advance

I couldn't get that to work at all.

I had '71 340 exhaust manifolds on a 340 engine that I dropped into a '64 Valiant and they hit the inner fender panels HARD on both sides.

Not only that, but it was a 4-speed car and with the clutch linkage (Z-bar, etc.) adding to the "congestion" down there (T-bar, Starter, Steering box, etc.), there was no way to get an exhaust "head pipe" on the manifold. That wasn't my opinion; that was the opinion of a technician at a custom exhaust shop I took it to, for just such a purpose.

I bought a set of Hedman fenderwell headers (on sale for $38.00) and took a hammer and cold chisel and attacked the inner fender panels.... see attached photo.

Wasn't pretty, but, it worked. I'd recommend Doug's, TTI's or even Spitfire before I'd do that to a car again.

Good luck!

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

image02.jpg

I have heard rumors that the exhaust manifolds from 318/360 Magnum pickup will work (in an early A-Body) with a little massaging. That would be a last-ditch alternative to tubing headers. Ask around; there might not be insurmountable obstacles in getting the Magnum manifolds on there. Word has it that the '92/'93 Dakota manifolds have bigger outlets than the later ones, but I'm not positive about that. I think the early ones are 2.25," if I remember correctly (and, I hardly ever do, anymore...)
Bill

-
Back