Manifolds or stay with what I have?

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
Car is a 1974 swinger with a 360, Ok so I have tried the summit racing long tube headers, hated them and now I have the Headman block hugger shorty's, the only problem really is the passenger side collector is next to impossible to get to, to tighten up. That equals a permanent exhaust leak.. I am thinking about going back to Stock manifolds, what do you guys think?

Stock or these I have?

Attachments

• manis.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 545
  • block.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 514
Do it, then hold out for some HP Manifolds. The only route that makes sense anymore, to me at least...

I'm saying manifolds.

Are the manifolds pictured a set you have in addition to some stock manifolds you already have?

Can't you "get imaginative" with the block huggers? Now I can't SEE them, so this is only "talk"

Maybe different types of bolts, IE allen head, etc, so you can get a wrench on the top? Could you tack weld the bolt heads to the header and still get a socket on the bottoms?

How 'bout "connector nuts" would those get the nuts away from the bell far enough that you could get a socket on?

201231416283337.jpg

Can't you "get imaginative" with the block huggers? Now I can't SEE them, so this is only "talk"

Maybe different types of bolts, IE allen head, etc, so you can get a wrench on the top? Could you tack weld the bolt heads to the header and still get a socket on the bottoms?

How 'bout "connector nuts" would those get the nuts away from the bell far enough that you could get a socket on?

x2 + Maybe some "wobble head" socket extensions? I've used varying combinations of them to get into places I had no reason getting into..LOL.

Pat

I hate headders on V8 a bodies thay are a pain in the *** . GO back stock . I still rember trying to change the starter on my dads old duster .

Car is a 1974 swinger with a 360, Ok so I have tried the summit racing long tube headers, hated them and now I have the Headman block hugger shorty's, the only problem really is the passenger side collector is next to impossible to get to, to tighten up. That equals a permanent exhaust leak.. I am thinking about going back to Stock manifolds, what do you guys think?

Stock or these I have?

If you go manifolds,at least get a set of HiPo 340 manifolds.
The manifolds pictured will choke your 360 to death.

I would stay with headers ..... a good header will run laps around factory manifolds any day.

problem with a lot of cars is that headers don't fit so good (BB A-body) but since you have a small block and headers will definitely fit ...then headers all the way.....let that beast breathe

maybe you can cut the collector off and weld exhaust pipe to it and put the collector in a better spot to get to.

Another option might be to cut the collector off and use a V band clamp.
V%20band%203in.jpg

Pipes_wClamp.jpg

Honestly I don't know why modern headers don't have these on them.

I am going to look back into my headers more before I change anything

Sometimes 2 or 3 other pairs of eyes can give you a different "view" of things, LOL

lol my dad said they are no good and I take his advice very serious lol

This strikes me as funny,,,

Headers are probably the cheapest, most effective way to gain 10 - 12% horsepower..

Getting rid of headers is prob. the most expensive way to lose 10 - 12% of your horsepower,, lol go figure.....

Take your header leak to a proper shop,, they're paid to get those bolts done up, and have experience you can't imagine.. They have to work on IMPORTS..

They're cost of repair will be insignifigant compared to cost of HiPo mainifolds,, and you get to keep the H/P.. ...my .02

This strikes me as funny,,,

Headers are probably the cheapest, most effective way to gain 10 - 12% horsepower..

Getting rid of headers is prob. the most expensive way to lose 10 - 12% of your horsepower,, lol go figure.....

Take your header leak to a proper shop,, they're paid to get those bolts done up, and have experience you can't imagine.. They have to work on IMPORTS..

They're cost of repair will be insignifigant compared to cost of HiPo mainifolds,, and you get to keep the H/P.. ...my .02

Yeah, that is the best idea I think.

The only V-8 A-body headers I haven't heard fitment gripes against are Doug's and Tti. Neither is particularly cheap, but maybe less than the block huggers and a pro shop to make 'em work. lol

If you have to go back to manifolds, the best ones out there are the 340s. (Photo below) From what I've seen when these things come up for sale, I'd be money ahead to have a pro shop put on Ttis.

Attachments

• 340 HP manifolds.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 274
i have been debating headers for so long but every one says they are a pain to put on and have to change the starter. Did you put a mini starter on in order to put these on?

-
Back