Manual 3spd column to floor

-

mtnbikefjman

Reaction score
I've got a '67 Valiant with a manual 3spd on the column. It works great but I want to move it to the floor. I wanted to go aftermarket but the only thing I can find available is the Hurst Indy SSA. I'm told by some that the Hurst is troublesome. Then I'm told by someone else that Hurst is usually better than factory. This is my 1st manual shift Valiant so any info would be helpful. Thanks.:glasses7:

Welcome to FABO! If you insist on converting it to floor shift, it doesn't sound like you have any choice on the shifter. I've never seen what I would consider and "good" floor shift conversion. Most have hokey brackets that flex too much for my taste. The column shift parts are not much better even when they were new. After years of wear, they can jam at the worst time and good replacement parts can be a bear to find. I'm assuming you have a slant 6 and this is a 903 transmission? If you plan any future horsepower boosts, I'd forget about that transmission and get a better one....like a 230 version or convert to a 4 speed 833 trans. The 903 is pretty weak....especially the input bearing, 1st and reverse gear on the main shaft and countershaft, and the 1-2 synchronizer.

Well, if your existing column shift still works, I wouldn't waste my money on converting it to a floor shift. Save your money for the conversion you really WANT to do.

That A903 has no provision for mounting a floor shifter. It is a coulmn shift box only. Best thing to do would be to see if you can find an A230 or A250 set up complete with shifter and linkage and swap it over. They are getting hard to find but I see them up for sale on craigslist once and a while.

Thanks guys. As of yesterday I found a complete / working 3spd manual with floor shift & bellhousing that I will be installing soon. The price was right and I could not pass it up.

My Dart had a 3 on the tree as well. Apparently the linkage went south. Owner of the car cut a big hole in the floor and then found out there was no shifters available for it.....

Nice! Now you have a trans with first gear syncro and no more messing around with that coulmn shift linkage that goes out of adjustment every month.

-
Back